• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

South Carolina has a new head coach

I bet you a dollar that Spurrier laughed when he heard the news.

Spurrier endorsed him. Spurrier loves the guy.

I'm a South Carolina fan. Don't really know how I feel, but it ain't nothing pretty. Could have hired Lincoln Riley and had Ruffin McNeill brought in as DC. But instead we hire this dude, and he's already (from reports) planning on bringing in the old Florida gang, including his ex-OC.

Muschamp does recruit well, the guy he's bringing from Auburn (Robinson or whatever) recruits really well, so recruits will be well. IIRC, Florida's last class under Will was ranked 8th but it dropped to 23rd this past year. But as UGA learned, recruits don't mean **** if you can't train them. Also doesn't meant **** if your offense sucks. So, I dunno, maybe he'll be good. Maybe he won't.

But the real tragedy is that this is another botched process by Ray Tanner. His handpicked baseball coach hasn't been all that hot and I imagine the Muschamp hire will determine whether or not he's the AD in 5-6 years time. Spurrier resigned mid-season to give his staff an audition and to allow the school to find a new coach, and instead they were the last Power 5 school to have a coach in place. That's embarrassing. When your final four comes down to Muschamp, Rich Rod, Schiano, or an unproven but interesting OC who is 32 years old, that's a damn problem when you had months to figure this thing out.

I might be eating my words a few years from now, and I hope I am, but I'm just not all too excited about the hire, and that seems to be the sentiment among the fan base. And I actually like the fact that he's a smart-ass that throws fits on the sideline. It's just what he did at Florida with the talent he had was laughable.

Watched the press conference today. Muschamp is a little Spurrier. One liners, love the smart-ass persona. But Ray Tanner got hit with a very hard question at the end about the number of fans pissed off by the hire. He's getting fired if this doesn't work out. Little more excited for the move than I was over the weekend; Muschamp does seem like a different person and looks really happy to be there (then again, the school is paying him $3m a year before incentives from what I read).

Staff is starting to come together. Kurt Roper (former FL OC), Travaris Robinson from Auburn that worked with Muschamp at Florida, Bobby Bentley (Byrnes HS coach - coached Marcus Lattimore), Shawn Elliott is apparently the only current staff member being retained, and we're apparently targeting some guy at Colorado State that Kirby Smart is also targeting. Ellis Johnson's name came up too. Might grab one or two more Auburn assistants. Some rumors going around that Kirby Smart was wanting Travaris Robinson as well, but he seems to be a Muschamp loyalist and is coming to Columbia. One of the highest rated recruiters in the nation. Also have offered Lance Thompson (former AL LB coach and current Auburn LB coach) a job but unsure if he's accepting. Reason I mention these names is several of them have been mentioned for Kirby Smart's staff, so it appears a Muschamp vs. Smart battle is going on for the coaching staff.

And in true Spurrier fashion, he got in a UGA shot:

https://www.seccountry.com/south-ca...-during-first-south-carolina-press-conference

So when he fielded one from a Gamecocks reporter during Monday’s introductory press conference, he used it as an opportunity to take a shot at SEC East rival UGA, which also happens to be his alma mater.

“Did you see where I got my undergraduate degree? I don’t think I understand the question,” Muschamp said.

Likely a calculated attempt to curry up some favor with his new fan base, Bulldogs fans may not mind the jab much given that Muschamp is 1-4 against his old school since 2011.

One thing’s for sure, though: Muschamp is already carrying on Steve Spurrier’s legacy of UGA-bashing pretty well.

Even a couple of kids now reconsidering or considering SC for the first time, just because of Muschamp. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom