• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

South Carolina

Got statute to cite? As far as I know, this is the only relevant statute and it very clearly only applies to someone with a CWP who is currently carrying a weapon on their person.

"A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer:

(1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer; and

(2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder."
23-31-215 (K)

The statute is up for interpretation. I interpret it as a permit holder has the duty to inform when asked. Do you really think that if you inform a SCHP or other SC LEO that you are a permit holder that the next question out of their mouth WON'T be "are you armed?". Try not informing during a traffic stop in SC or better yet, tell the officer that you have a permit and when he asks if there is a gun tell him "I don't have to tell you that, I just have to tell you I have a permit" and see what happens....My family has lived there since 1976. I have been stopped several times and they always ask.

Most are pretty cool about it, they will say something like "just don't reach for it"....

the choking doberman.
Haven't heard that one, please do explain......but.....If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license...so in that regard like an extension of your home......there are other restrictions for car carry in SC that do not apply in the home so not an extension of your home in SC.

Haven't heard that one, please do explain......but.....If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license...so in that regard like an extension of your home......there are other restrictions for car carry in SC that do not apply in the home so not an extension of your home in SC.

What's to explain?

There is no statute or court case in Georgia that has ever said that your car is an extension of your home. Said statement is not a statement of a legal principle.

If you personally feel the necessity to make some sort of analogy, go ahead, but it is in no way a "legal" principle.

What's to explain?

There is no statute or court case in Georgia that has ever said that your car is an extension of your home. Said statement is not a statement of a legal principle.

If you personally feel the necessity to make some sort of analogy, go ahead, but it is in no way a "legal" principle.
Whatever dude....I was asking you to explain the choking doberman. I even quoted you so it would be evident that was what I was asking to be explained.

But please do go ahead and explain to me how my analogy is somehow something you feel a strong need to correct or clarify. I never used the term legal principle but I feel my analogy is sound.

Now that we have that out of the way, please tell me about that choking doberman.

Whatever dude....I was asking you to explain the choking doberman. I even quoted you so it would be evident that was what I was asking to be explained.
I got curious to and searched it...still want references to the "car as extension of home" issue.

LEGEND: A woman leaves her choking dog at the vet and later receives a call telling her to get out of the house — human fingers have been found in the dog’s throat.

What's to explain?

Same as there is no “castle doctrine”

But is common vernacular even in a legal setting. Cars are private property and are included in the laws with homes and other occupied buildings.

Back
Top Bottom