• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

South Dakota,Wyoming,Montana

Great, if not ambitious trip. I've learned to reduce objectives and be flexible. You've got many great tips so far. Crowds will kill your experience if you are not smart. Glacier is farther away than you might think. And I can spend all summer there! Road to the Sun is bucket list material.
Have spent much time living in RC. Black Hills are great. Tremendous american history. Sylvan Lake west of Rushmore near Crazy Horse is a must stop. (still not real popular)
Watch the dry heat, stay hydrated. And their rattlesnakes make our GA varieties look like worms.
Our first camping trips with youngsters included periodic hotel (w/ pools) stops. Keeping wifey and kids comfortable was well worth it. Now all my kids live out west!! We just visit at will!

I`ve made this tour 3 times. Each trip went to different destinations. I did most of it on 2-lane blacktop, gravel, dirt. No itinerary, just decided each day which direction to start in. Always stopped to eat or spend the night in small towns or just camp. That way you get to meet the real people. Gonna do it again after the virus blows away and things open up. I`ve always done it in Sept. No crowds. If you do it late in summer or fall, take summer and winter clothes. I`ve started out in short sleeves and ended up in long johns and insulated boots. Used 4wd every trip. Just my way. I ain`t considered "normal".

Awesome, Awesome part of the country.
We stayed in Gardiner & entered Yellowstone's North gate, drove thru Yellowstone to Lake Jenny, then to Jackson Hole. Stayed there over night, Visited Antelope Flats out by KELLY saw LOADS of animals to photograph. Crossed the Tetons and traveled north thru Idaho and stayed in Helena on our way to Glacier National park. then back to Whitehall to visit relatives. It was an AMAZING trip. That part of the country is BEAUTIFUL.
Enjoy And remember " Pics or it didn't happen".

Jackson, WY is cool but I found Pinedale a little more laid back. Great hiking in the Bridger National Forest, awesome mountain lakes and streams. Pinedale also has the Mountain Man museum, a must see if in the area.

https://museumofthemountainman.com/
Pinedale not so laid back any more. Lost its appeal to me. I hunted Jim Creek several times in the 90s. Pinedale was the last stop for fresh groceries. Only thing there was a gas station, Faylors(which sold everything a hunter or fisherman needed), Wranglers(only place to eat), NAPA, and two Mom-n-Pop motels. Mulies in the street..I hate progress. I was there five years ago and was disappointed at what has happened. Oil frackin got Pinedale. Jackson is worse. Took over by California.

I`ve made this tour 3 times. Each trip went to different destinations. I did most of it on 2-lane blacktop, gravel, dirt. No itinerary, just decided each day which direction to start in. Always stopped to eat or spend the night in small towns or just camp. That way you get to meet the real people. Gonna do it again after the virus blows away and things open up. I`ve always done it in Sept. No crowds. If you do it late in summer or fall, take summer and winter clothes. I`ve started out in short sleeves and ended up in long johns and insulated boots. Used 4wd every trip. Just my way. I ain`t considered "normal".
I like your way.

Headed out in 5 weeks for a 3 week adventure. We are going to hit the Badlands,Tetons,Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks.
We will be traveling by road dragging our travel trailer along with us. We have our camp sites reserved along the way.
I have watched a ton of videos on where and what to do along the way. We have some stops in mind in between the National Parks but wanted to hear from you guys on any tips or suggestions on where/what to see and even if there is something that is overrated that we should avoid. It's me my wife and our 9 year old son.

Hit me with them and thanks !
Spearfish Canyon near Sturgis SD...Needles in the Black Hills SD...(God rides in the Black Hills),
Badlands SD...Devils Tower Wyoming...all are incredible to experience!

Back
Top Bottom