• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Southpaw friendly handguns

Beretta Px4 - G model

three sizes, has grip inserts so that you can adjust it to the size of her hand. Standard, compact and sub-compact. What I'm going with right now.

Ambi decocker is standard, mag release is easily reversible.

I haven't looked at them all, but I've never seen an ambi slide release.

The old S&W all metal semi autos (models 39 and 59 and later series) have factory ambi safety/decocker.

Beretta 92 has ambi decocker/safety, and mag release can be reversed.

Of course the ultimate ambi handgun is a revolver. Note that the cylinder on a revolver opens to the left, and favors a left handed shooter for reloading.
A revolver cylinder opening to the left would favor a right handed shooter.

A revolver cylinder opening to the left would favor a right handed shooter.

Gee, I don't know how I could have overlooked that shooting thousands of round in competition, left handed.

To start with, a right handed shooter has to load a revolver left handed, and if not using a speed loader of some sort, a lot of people lack the left handed dexterity to do it quickly, one bullet at a time.

In fact, I particularly like my DW revolver because the front release particularly favors lefties.

Gee, I don't know how I could have overlooked that shooting thousands of round in competition, left handed.

To start with, a right handed shooter has to load a revolver left handed, and if not using a speed loader of some sort, a lot of people lack the left handed dexterity to do it quickly, one bullet at a time.

In fact, I particularly like my DW revolver because the front release particularly favors lefties.
So it's easier to load a revolver with your right hand across or under your left arm, than for the cylinder to swing to right and load it with your hands side by side? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

So it's easier to load a revolver with your right hand across or under your left arm, than for the cylinder to swing to right and load it with your hands side by side? Maybe I'm misunderstanding...

What 20 century revolver has a cylinder that swings to the right?

Cylinders open to the shooter's left, making it much easier (and quicker) for a LH shooter to reload, especially with a speed loader. A trained LH shooter (he says modestly) will open, unload, and reload the cylinder, and return the gun to battery in one motion with the LH. The LH shooter never has to reposition his right hand, while the RH shooter has to move both hands, and re-load with his left hand (or cross over the gun with his RH, which I've never seen).

In addition to proving this to my own satisfaction, I've discussed this with several professional trainers, and they all agree that this is one of the rare situations where a LH has an advantage (sort of like the QWERTY keyboard).

The Lefty Speed Reload For A Revolver Using A Speedloader.
From a two handed or freestyle position...
1. Release the cylinder release latch with your thumb, I've played around with using my left and right thumb with no appreciable difference in speed.
2. Push the cylinder out with your right hand.
3. Put your right thumb through the frame and over the cylinder while grasping the frame with your right fingers.
4. Rotate the revolver to a barrel straight up position.
5a. Use your right index finger to depress the elector rod or,
5b. Use the heel of your left hand to depress the elector rod in a brisk manner.
6a. Retrieve your speed loader on your left side while ejecting the empty cases or,
6b. After ejecting the empty cases, retrieve the speed loader from your left side.
7. While performing the motions to retrieve your speed loader, rotate the gun to as close to a muzzle down position as possible.
8. Line up and insert the fresh cartridges into the chambers, the release the speed loader retention.
9 Discard the speed loader and close the cylinder while maintaining positive control of the revolver.
10. Resume a two handed grip while aligning the gun with your target and bringing it back to eye level.

Now that sounds like a lot of steps. In truth it's really not any more steps than if you break down the process of reloading a semi auto. Back in my days of serious competition (said in a quavery old man's voice) I could regularly hit sub 2 second reloads from shot to shot. That's shoot my sixth, reload, and shoot my next shot. That was also the result of hundreds of hours of practice. Nowadays, I'm slightly over three on a cold reload.

Be a lot easier to make a list of the unfriendly ones. Cz 97, cz P01, most Sig's come to mind. A lot of guns have reversible mag releases, but I don't bother. I can use my trigger finger just as fast as a right can his thumb, and it's probably safer.

Cylinders open to the shooter's left, making it much easier (and quicker) for a LH shooter to reload, especially with a speed loader. A trained LH shooter (he says modestly) will open, unload, and reload the cylinder, and return the gun to battery in one motion with the LH. The LH shooter never has to reposition his right hand, while the RH shooter has to move both hands, and re-load with his left hand (or cross over the gun with his RH, which I've never seen).

In addition to proving this to my own satisfaction, I've discussed this with several professional trainers, and they all agree that this is one of the rare situations where a LH has an advantage (sort of like the QWERTY keyboard).

That does not sound faster to me. I have a heck of a time with it.

The Lefty Speed Reload For A Revolver Using A Speedloader.
From a two handed or freestyle position...
1. Release the cylinder release latch with your thumb, I've played around with using my left and right thumb with no appreciable difference in speed.
2. Push the cylinder out with your right hand.
3. Put your right thumb through the frame and over the cylinder while grasping the frame with your right fingers.
4. Rotate the revolver to a barrel straight up position.
5a. Use your right index finger to depress the elector rod or,
5b. Use the heel of your left hand to depress the elector rod in a brisk manner.
6a. Retrieve your speed loader on your left side while ejecting the empty cases or,
6b. After ejecting the empty cases, retrieve the speed loader from your left side.
7. While performing the motions to retrieve your speed loader, rotate the gun to as close to a muzzle down position as possible.
8. Line up and insert the fresh cartridges into the chambers, the release the speed loader retention.
9 Discard the speed loader and close the cylinder while maintaining positive control of the revolver.
10. Resume a two handed grip while aligning the gun with your target and bringing it back to eye level.

Now that sounds like a lot of steps. In truth it's really not any more steps than if you break down the process of reloading a semi auto. Back in my days of serious competition (said in a quavery old man's voice) I could regularly hit sub 2 second reloads from shot to shot. That's shoot my sixth, reload, and shoot my next shot. That was also the result of hundreds of hours of practice. Nowadays, I'm slightly over three on a cold reload.

None that I know of lol. I guess my thought was that you would retain the revolver with your primary hand and reload with the offhand, but I was wrong. Thanks for the education guys, I meant no offense.

Back
Top Bottom