• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Space Weather Prediction Center

Tikker

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/alerts-watches-and-warnings

Good place to have access to a site that will notify of potential solar storm activity. I just caught wind of a story indicating that a Coronal Mass Ejection was headed to Earth & wanted to find out if I should pull my money out of the bank or not.

Thankfully it looks like it's just grazing the Northern part of the Earth. If it were a dead on hit and depending how strong it could be we'd become a cash/barter only society for awhile.

Just thought I'd pass along this site I found, just straight forward information without any news media filler.

Van Allen Belt

Van-Allen-radiation-belts-magnetosphere-Earth-Pressure.jpg

Is that supposed to disprove that a solar storm could affect the Earth?

The Van Allen Belt makes the likelihood of a solar storm shutting down technology pretty low. That’s not to say that solar flares don’t have an effect, certain types of communications are scheduled around the solar activity. Amateur and commercial radio operators have multiple resources they use to determine which bands are suitable to use during various types of solar activity. I’ll be adding the link you posted to my little notebook of sources. It contains more raw data than what I’ve been using.

Thanks for posting the link.

Glad I could help.

Out of all the doomsday type scenarios that I've heard, a Super Solar Flare directed at Earth seems the most plausible to me. Given how the whole world is so dependent on electronics our lives would come to a standstill & large masses would die off from the lack of food and creature comforts like conditioned air, tap water, & vehicles to carry us around.

I've read a study showing tests on vehicles with a machine emitting an EMP pulse, but they couldn't produce the amount of power that a Carrington Event solar flare could produce to verify if vehicles could withstand it. Reports when it happened back in 1859 said that not only were telegraphers shocked, but papers that were close to them had also caught fire from the sparks & the lines outside crackling with the surge in power.

A link below talking about it.

https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare

Back
Top Bottom