• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speeding ticket and insurance

rightway1974

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
My daughter got a speeding ticket which we will contest in court. If she gets it reduced will it still cause the insurance rate to increase?

I would talk to Laxguy59 Laxguy59 . His lawfirm has helped many a friend.

I know a bunch of people think I am crazy for calling a lawyer for a simple traffic ticket. I will say though, I made ODT history posting from the backseat of a police car when I got arrested on my way to work due to a ticket I paid myself 10 years prior. A simple mixup in the paperwork and 10 years later I missed a day of work and spent 3 grand on a lawyer.

I even called Laxguy59 Laxguy59 two years ago when I got a texting while driving ticket. It's cheap insurance to guarantee I don't end up posting from the back seat of a police car again in 10 years.

Under 14mph over not reported. More than 14mph over and its reported on driver history, so insurance will know. If hers is more than 14 over ask the court if they will reduce the speed to under 14 pay the fine and go.

When are points not added?
  • You will not receive points for the following:
    • Speeding convictions less than 15 miles-per-hour over the posted speed limit
    • Convictions of driving "Too Fast for Conditions"
    • If you are a Non-Georgia Resident

At 17 I got a 76 in a 45 . Only paid 420$ and had to take a defensive driving class . If you take that before court it helps big time . But insurance wasn’t affected surprisingly

I tried getting the solicitor to lower it 6 mph but she refused. She offered to waive the fine but thats not a drop in the bucket to what my insurance company told me it would cost over three years. We got a continuance and now have to decide how to proceed.

All I can say is fighting a traffic ticket and the merits can be a very involved and expensive defense. It might be necessary to hire an expert to challenge the state's introduction of radar or laser evidence.
Either to undercut the foundation the groundwork that would make such evidence admissible or to counter it and have an opposing view that the jury or other finder of fact would have to consider ("battle of the experts").

A good DUI trial attorney would be used to fighting tooth and nail over misdemeanor moving violations, because these minor infractions are often the only justification cops had to pull somebody over, after which they were found to be intoxicated.

By the way, In a case where the state's main evidence would be supplied through the use of some scientific equipment that detects speed, I was thinking a motion to suppress and motions in limine to limit testimony would be at the heart of a defense. Keep in mind the general rule in Georgia is that all defensive motion must be filed at the time of arraignment or within 10 days of that date.
So, if you're going to bring a lawyer into this case do it in time for that lawyer to file a set of motions that includes a motion to suppress.

Back
Top Bottom