• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speeding ticket and insurance

The way that counties and cities are going to civil fines drives me nuts!!! They use it to circumvent the fact that you have a right to face your accusers and I do not feel it is constitutional to slap a tort on someone because their vehicle was identified as speeding, however you cannot even question the time stamp of the "evidence ".

Sorry for the rant. I get upset on that topic. I am a full supporter of law enforcement as a role in our society and a full supporter of prosecution to a higher degree when the violation is of a certain nature. I do not however support crowdfunding money pits under the guise of public safety.

True, but at least it’s cheaper and doesn’t hurt your driving history. Less biz for us blood sucking lawyers as well. There’s a few tricks to get those dismissed though, not sharing those though.

You best bet MAY be to have her plead Nolo Contendre (no contest essentially). It is a plea that if the judge accepts, you pay the fine and the ticket is not held against the person. Basically it is like saying "I am not admitting guilt, but I willing accept the punishment(fine) as if I were guilty and request leniency." An individual can plead nolo 1 time every 5 years and the disposition of the citation is only visible to a criminal background check and not driving record check.

I am NOT a lawyer NOR is this legal advice. However, a call to the prosecutor's office to discuss a plea of Nolo may resolve this for you in the manner you want. Also, do not sign anything without counsel present. The plea is still the same as any other and should not carry any special provisions of additional punishment. Also, be aware the prosecutor may balk at the idea but it is ultimately the judge's decision and if they do balk, go to court and request it. Explain that your daughter is not trying to shirk responsibility for her actions thus why you do not want the prosecutor's deal to waive the fine, you are just trying to minimize the long term fall out for something that was a one time mishap that you as her father have taken steps to resolve. I as a father, allow my eldest child to drive and remain on my insurance to help, however I utilize one of those driving detector plug ins from state farm(my insurance) to track his driving habits as he is a new driver and he has 3 younger siblings that will get their license eventually and I will not have them be limited due to higher insurance rates, because he wants to be dumb. One of those devices are free and usually even reduce your insurance rates.
Pleading nolo to a traffic ticket is a terrible idea that gets floated around the internet..

A plea of nolo contendre is effectively a once in a lifetime "get out of jail free" card, and to blow it on a traffic fine, no matter the monetary costs, is ridiculous.

Athens Clarke municipal. Her first ticket.

Athens/Clarke cops and courts are corrupt as ****ing hell. They want their money.

You are screwed, mostly.

The prosecutor in that court is a member of the County attorney's office, i.e, an employee of Athens Clarke County. He doesn't get "atta boys" for reducing fines.

Of course the judge is an employee of the county too, so there's that.

I would show up on the trial date, prepared to stay all day, announce that you want a trial. You are much more likely to get some consideration from the prosecutor if he knows you are prepared to to through with making him work.

At some point the prosecutor will call you up and ask you why you want a trial, that's your chance to get a deal.

And of course the cop has to be there. Then, tell the judge why you want a hearing, It's very informal. Biggest problem is having to sit there all day waiting for your case to be called.

And remember that in that court, everyone is on the same team. One judge got fired for not generating enough income.

OP, with a teenage driver, anything you do is just a temporary fix. Seems like once they get tagged, they’re like a ticket magnet, and they don’t learn. Make her pay the insurance increases out of her pocket and stop worrying.

Pleading nolo to a traffic ticket is a terrible idea that gets floated around the internet..

A plea of nolo contendre is effectively a once in a lifetime "get out of jail free" card, and to blow it on a traffic fine, no matter the monetary costs, is ridiculous.
I think you are a little confused on this topic. Nolo is a once every 5 year, no contest that results in a fine, but no mark against your record.

First offender is the one that is once a lifetime and only takes effect IF you complete the punishment assigned (usually jail time and probation).

OP, with a teenage driver, anything you do is just a temporary fix. Seems like once they get tagged, they’re like a ticket magnet, and they don’t learn. Make her pay the insurance increases out of her pocket and stop worrying.
I feel this is not always true nor good information. Teens make mistakes and if this is the first time, you have no reason to assume that she will be a repeat offender. Also, as a teenager she is most likely on her father's insurance policy as a driver and it is almost NEVER possible for a teen to afford insurance on their on and be a productive student.

Back
Top Bottom