• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speeding ticket and insurance

I feel this is not always true nor good information. Teens make mistakes and if this is the first time, you have no reason to assume that she will be a repeat offender. Also, as a teenager she is most likely on her father's insurance policy as a driver and it is almost NEVER possible for a teen to afford insurance on their on and be a productive student.
Well, I suggested she pay the increase in the policy rate out of her pocket, as I am well aware a 17 yo isn’t going to have their own policy. And a financial bite to their own pocket will certainly get their attention.
And I also have no reason to assume she won’t be a repeat offender.
It worked with my daughter,
YMMV

I think you are a little confused on this topic. Nolo is a once every 5 year, no contest that results in a fine, but no mark against your record.

First offender is the one that is once a lifetime and only takes effect IF you complete the punishment assigned (usually jail time and probation).

I'm confident I have a good picture of how all this operates.

Trust me.

she will plead not guilty and ask for a trial. She has no other tickets, this was her first. I figure it can’t get any worse. Maybe they will be willing to deal.

A defendant charged with a moving motor vehicle violation (even a misdemeanor) could request a transfer of the case from Municipal Court or a County Recorder's Court over to the State Court.

In State Courts, jury trials are available.

However the OP's daughter may have missed the deadline to request such a transfer, just like she may have missed the deadline to file any defensive motions....

A defendant charged with a moving motor vehicle violation (even a misdemeanor) could request a transfer of the case from Municipal Court or a County Recorder's Court over to the State Court.

In State Courts, jury trials are available.

However the OP's daughter may have missed the deadline to request such a transfer, just like she may have missed the deadline to file any defensive motions....
It's an ordinance violation, no transfer, no jury trial.

Only appeal is by writ to the Superior Court. That presumes you had the foresight to hire a court reporter.

Because no incarceration is involved, there is no constitutional right to a jury trail, per SCOTUS.

FWIW, back in the day, 1970s, 1980s Clarke County did not have a municipal court, all traffic cases went to State Court. Then the city and county got into a pissing match about dividing the loot, so the city created a municipal court, with an appointed judge that works for the city. It made moving violations ordinance violations, which are handled by the municipal court, and no right to a jury trial. IF you get a moving violation from GSP, it will be written as a state law violation, go to municipal court, but you can have it transferred to state court and get your jury trial.

One judge of municipal court got fired because she was a prior public defender, and had the audacity to challenge some of the LEOs version of probable cause for making DUIs. The cut into the revenue stream considerably, and the powers that be didn't like that.

Back
Top Bottom