• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speedometer testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make a long story short...."A friend" got a speeding ticket. I just found out that if "my friend" has their speedometer tested they may get the ticket reduced. Does anyone know someone? I am looking for a honest company that understands that "my friend" would never intentionally speed so it must be a mechanical issue. Tires were recently changed.
Pretty simple to check. Get a Garmin/tom tom/smart phone GPS speed app - get on a nice flat road at a steady speed - see how much it's off. I've seen bigger tires throw it as much as 7 mph on large jacked up trucks. Turns that "10 over" into "17 over".

Edit: I'm assuming you need it "tested" to get the ticket reduced - not to really see what is going on with it - if I read between the lines correctly - can't help you with that one if that's the case, I do know the code section for having a faulty speedometer though . . . :cool:

I use "My Tracks" which is a GPS app on my phone. It shows the speed 6 mph lower than the ticket. Hence why i want the speedo checked. Its less than a $200 ticket and i will end up spending st least that (especially if you consider missed work and travel expenses). I know what i "think" i did wrong and only want to be accountable for it but nothing more. If the results end up being there is not any error then i would still wonder WTH because of the app but i will know.

I use "My Tracks" which is a GPS app on my phone. It shows the speed 6 mph lower than the ticket. Hence why i want the speedo checked. Its less than a $200 ticket and i will end up spending st least that (especially if you consider missed work and travel expenses). I know what i "think" i did wrong and only want to be accountable for it but nothing more. If the results end up being there is not any error then i would still wonder WTH because of the app but i will know.
I hear ya - don't know wasn't there (well, I don't think it was me but I guess it couldve been) -anyway, I know from personal experience my phone GPS isn't quite as accurate (it lags and jumps) as the speed indicator on my windshield mounted Garmin. Maybe that's part of the discrepancy, maybe not. Radar, Target identification/discrimination CAN be an issue in traffic on multi-lane roads - Laser, well that one is pretty much just a game over .

In for the outcome. Interesting, because I've looked into a lot of of speedo 'error' cases in my truck fleet time, (and personal cars / bikes). I've not seen a speedo under read so far when checked at steady state speed with GPS, but I'm sure they're out there.

In for the outcome. Interesting, because I've looked into a lot of of speedo 'error' cases in my truck fleet time, (and personal cars / bikes). I've not seen a speedo under read so far when checked at steady state speed with GPS, but I'm sure they're out there.
I have 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers on my F150 - stock size should be 235/75/17. I am 4mph off - My speedometer reads 60 I'm really doing 64. It's a pretty common issue that not to many people realize. Not sure about the OP's case since his GPS is reading a lower speed.

I have 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers on my F150 - stock size should be 235/75/17. I am 4mph off - My speedometer reads 60 I'm really doing 64. It's a pretty common issue that not to many people realize. Not sure about the OP's case since his GPS is reading a lower speed.

I'm talking about stock vehicles. At least nowadays, with electronically driven speedos, you can often re-calibrate the system to adjust for different tire sizes.

Spot on.

And the speedometer app that I have on my phone is very accurate. Any stock vehicle that I have ridden in, the app perfectly matches the cars speedo. I have two trucks that I changed the tires on to larger ones. Both of them show 4 miles an hour less than the app does.

I hear ya - don't know wasn't there (well, I don't think it was me but I guess it couldve been) -anyway, I know from personal experience my phone GPS isn't quite as accurate (it lags and jumps) as the speed indicator on my windshield mounted Garmin. Maybe that's part of the discrepancy, maybe not. Radar, Target identification/discrimination CAN be an issue in traffic on multi-lane roads - Laser, well that one is pretty much just a game over .

Got nailed with a laser going 70 in a 55. I have a radar/laser detector in my car and knew I was got the second I seen him, he nailed me and my detector said laser. He was on the underside of an overpass and I was pulled over about 100ft past him before he could even get his lights on. He walked up and said "I'm guessing you know already, I pointed to my radar and laughed, said yea you got me doing 70. He said well I gotta write it but ill drop it and just keep it around 65 and we wont mess with ya". Only cool Floyd county cop ive met.

Your local lawyer up there should be able to find a speedometer certification shop in the jurisdiction where the crime occurred.

Out of state "certification"? GLWS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom