• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speer has colluded with El Diablo

Cleaned brass is necessary only if you are trying to sell the stuff. I use to just take the brass from the range and toss it in the tumbler for a couple of hours then reload it. Never cleaned the primer pockets and never had any issues with reloading. Then I got into processing brass for others. My main customer is a guy that reloads and sells at the gun shows. He wants the stuff as clean as possible.
Now I wash with stainless steel pins, soap, lime shine and water. The stuff comes out looking like new. I then tumble it for several hours to shine it up an remove some of the scratches. As palmettomoon stated it also helps them run better through my presses.
I guess I have processed over a million pieces of brass in the last 2 years. All I do every night is sit in my man cave and crank on the presses for a few hours.

>Case prep IS important.

Prove it. Would LOVE to read the results of actual testing.
Maybe for long range rifle competition (beyond 400 yards), but pistols at even 50 yards? NO, doesn't matter.

Speer has been using small primers in 45acp about as long as Federal has.....they are both ATK owned. Used to find em all the time when I reloaded for a living. They were usually in batches of brass acquired from LE departments/ranges.

I have more than once been reloading 45 colt and the primer wouldn't seat, checked brass and a 454 had slipped in there. Dang small rifle primer...

Pretty sure I don't press hard enough to set one off, but you never can tell. I do always wear safety glasses when handling primers, powder and reloading.

If you're doing a lot of case prep, one of the motorized stations will save tons of time, and blistered fingers. FWIW.

Some of the latest ones have a trimmer/chamfer built in. That would be super nice. The one I have has chamfer tools, but no trimmer. : (

But it's never touched a handgun case.

I've even heard of folks lubing and then cleaning the lube off of handgun cases after resizing. They've got a heck of a lot more free time than I have.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/628405/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-case-prep-and-trim-center
Worth every penny.

I clean all brass in a tumbler. Went ahead and bought 2. If brass is really dirty, I run in the walnut media then transfer to the corncob. I prep my rifle brass on a single stage and do clean the primer pocket since it is so easy with the Frankford Arsenal trim center. However on pistol brass, I just size it on the 550B while loading.

Rosewood

I have a Giraud bench top trimmer but I'd go broke buying the collets and trimmer blades for all of the cartridges I reload. I use one of the FA Plat series trimmers for about 20 different cartridges and the Giraud for 10 (high vol).

It is universal. It has 3 different sized collets that fit most common cartridges. 1 trimmer blade does them all. And it will use accessories from other brands, they just screw in. So far I have trimmed everything from .223 to 300 win mag.

It is universal. It has 3 different sized collets that fit most common cartridges. 1 trimmer blade does them all. And it will use accessories from other brands, they just screw in. So far I have trimmed everything from .223 to 300 win mag.
LOL, I meant that I use both. The Giraud uses caliber specific collets and trim heads.

The FA Platinum is what I use for odd ball calibers that I load infrequently. I recommend the FA unit to everyone that reloads. You cannot beat it when it's offered on sale at $149.

Back
Top Bottom