• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Speer has colluded with El Diablo

What do you do about lubricating the cases?
Lanolin and alcohol. Pretty much the same as Dillon's and Berry's case lube except I thin it out. I pour about 500 cases in a tub and spray them with a spray bottle I got from Wally World. Let them dry a few minutes and throw some in the case feeder. Then I turn on the trimmer and start pulling the handle until the case feeder is empty. Get something to drink and them repeat.

Lanolin and alcohol. Pretty much the same as Dillon's and Berry's case lube except I thin it out. I pour about 500 cases in a tub and spray them with a spray bottle I got from Wally World. Let them dry a few minutes and throw some in the case feeder. Then I turn on the trimmer and start pulling the handle until the case feeder is empty. Get something to drink and them repeat.
Does the Dillon trimmer also chamfer and debur the case mouths?

No, once I am through trimming I throw them in the tumbler for 4 hours to get the lube off and shine them up some. That seems to take care of the outside. If you are using a dillon 1050 to reload the backup rod will knock of any burr on the inside of the case neck. They guy that I process for only uses Dillon equipment so he has had no issues. I have 6 buckets I am about to process for him now.

I should have elaborated; I meant "Do you have to stop and clean the cases?". My production rate is really slowed by that, having to run them twice. In fact, I don't use the Dillon for the resizing; just throw the sizing die in my Rockchucker and resize in front of the TV (I have a portable stand). Then clean 'em, and run through the Dillon with a universal decapper in the first position, to punch out the corncob in the flash holes. This works well, and I don't consider the time in front of the TV as tedious as that at the reloading bench... where there is no TV, radio, and I don't answer the phone. Zero interruptions allowed when I'm doing that.

But back on topic-- every time I have to stop to pull off a small primer .45, I risk a double-charge if I forget to index to the next station (Dillon 550). This infuriates me.

Here's to the day (coming, I'm sure) where you have a little camera or two on the press, that watches every round above and below. Watches powder level for double or no charge. Notices cracks in the brass. Can holler when a small primer case is loaded by mistake. Will notice if a primer isn't fed. Can catch .380 vs. 9mm, or .38 vs. .357... This is already really a sub-$200 device hardware wise. But the software and liability insurance? Probably out of the question for our relatively small niche market.

Believe me it already exists, lol. The guy I prep for has all of that hooked up to his 1050. Cameras, powder sensor, an alarm / switch that cuts off the auto drive if the primer pocket is not clear and some other stuff that I can't remember right now. He has me prep the cases so he does not have to stop ever 10 seconds to clear a jam. Even with all the pre-prepped brass he will still get one every now and then that won't run through the process but he says it is 2 or 3 per thousand vs. 1 in 10.

Back
Top Bottom