• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Spongy/Soft brakes

Just for kicks, and a good time... take it down a dirt road and stomp the pedal several times activating the abs and dump pump. I used to do that to cycle the fluid through the module.

As far as masters go, I havent had one give me a spongy pedal per se but you will get brake fade. Pull up to a light and sitting stopped, you’ll start to roll without moving your foot because the fluid is bypassing inside the cylinder. Then the pedal starts dropping some. Could cause a spongy feel. Doesnt sound like a booster problem to me.

Just for kicks, and a good time... take it down a dirt road and stomp the pedal several times activating the abs and dump pump. I used to do that to cycle the fluid through the module.

As far as masters go, I havent had one give me a spongy pedal per se but you will get brake fade. Pull up to a light and sitting stopped, you’ll start to roll without moving your foot because the fluid is bypassing inside the cylinder. Then the pedal starts dropping some. Could cause a spongy feel. Doesnt sound like a booster problem to me.
Good idea on the dirt road. Back in January with the snow I definitely activated my ABS. I read a couple things about the push rod from the booster to the MC needing slight adjustment that makes a big difference. Might try that as well

Good idea on the dirt road. Back in January with the snow I definitely activated my ABS. I read a couple things about the push rod from the booster to the MC needing slight adjustment that makes a big difference. Might try that as well
Thats a fixed adjustment made during assembly. If your brakes became spongy without removing either component, I dont think that would be the culprit. If a m/c isnt too pricey, you might just go ahead and throw one on it to rule it out.

I and a friend of mine have the same truck with the same problem. He took his to the dealer, they said it was some sort of hydraulic control. He paid somewhere around 1200 and it works fine. I have 275k on mine and just deal with it for free. I have been ignoring it for about 80k miles and have no other issues. Its my work truck so 100 miles a day approx with 600lb load at all times and no issues. Good luck seems to be common on fords

Apparently I had my blinders on yesterday... definitely the MC. Look at all this fluid leakin out the back. Vacuum booster probably filled too.
2F7E42C7-4F16-4E20-8807-5E17D47444D6.jpeg
DD0C1B55-D0E0-419E-90AD-7555B9041DCC.jpeg

Newer boosters have a lip inside where the tail of the master seats. It prevents fluids from running back in the booster. Should be fine with just a mc. Glad you figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom