• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sporting clays/5 stand lessons/clubs?

Joel_C

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
71   0
Reaction score
I’ve just got started shooting clays this year…I’m looking into clubs or training opportunities in North East GA.

I’m on YouTube a lot, and have ordered a few books…I’d just like to find ways to shorten the learning curve as much as possible.

Or if anyone on here goes shooting clays I’d definitely love to tag along. I may only hit 60-80% but I’m gun competent and safety conscious.

They have "Pros" at Cherokee Rose in Griffin and at the Beretta Shooting Grounds at Barnsley Resort in Kingston. I don't know if they have one at Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds in College Park...

Etowah Valley Sporting Clays in Dawsonville offers private and group lessons. Great facility and good folks that operate it.
Yeah, we went and shot there a few months ago. It’s absolutely beautiful out there.

I might try one of their lessons just to try and skip over any bad habits.

Depending on your style of learning, group lessons are economical and many folks say it is easier to grasp the concepts and less intimidating in a group setting. If your scores are in the 60% to 70% on a public course, most good NSCA level 1 instructors are a good value and can help you get to the 90s. Once you are consistently in the 90s then seek out the professional level coaches.

On a personal note, medium and longer range crossing targets are the most challenging for me. Whenever my Sporting Clays scores start to plateau or drop, I spend a couple of hours on the skeet field to work on fundamentals of the short crossing targets which normally leads to improvement on the Sporting Clays Course.

Your mileage and practice strategy may vary,

Thanks for the replies…I’ll definitely look at some.

$75 an hour at old Hudson sounds like a steal…plus the Sunday matches look like a good time.

Cherokee gun club does matches but its once a month and usually falls on a weekend I have my daughter so I haven’t been able to make one of those yet.

I did lessons at Garland. They have quite a few instructors. It was very helpful. You'll hit a certain point where it's practice practice practice.

Sounds good man…shoot me a message if any of you guys go shoot. I’d definitely try to make it.

I think there is a match or fun match at Etowah May 20…I’m trying to work it in the schedule.

Back
Top Bottom