• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Spring squirrel season in GA?

clisbyclark

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
14   0
Reaction score
Just sent an email to the DNR folks in ATL suggesting we start a spring squirrel season in GA. I know Tennessee has had one for a few years now. I know it wouldn't make a dent in the population as there are so few squirrel hunters left, but would be a fun way to stay in the woods a little longer every year.

Why—- it’s in from aug15-Feb 28 how offen did you hunt during this time—- take up Turkey hunting and fishing
I don’t have any problem with it—- but I would guess it would create a lot of controversy with managing wmas I’m sure Turkey hunters would love squirrel hunters wondering around in the woods.

Why—- it’s in from aug15-Feb 28 how offen did you hunt during this time—- take up Turkey hunting and fishing
I don’t have any problem with it—- but I would guess it would create a lot of controversy with managing wmas I’m sure Turkey hunters would love squirrel hunters wondering around in the woods.
I hunted as much as I could but have to work so I couldn't get out as much as I hoped. I hunt public land a lot and try to avoid deer hunters as much as possible-primarily for my own safety. So that gives me from mid August (HOT) until October then the crappiest months of the season, Jan and Feb..

I believe the states that do have spring seasons, generally have them after turkey seasons to avoid conflicts.

Interesting point on turkey hunters. Do you think they should have priority over other hunters? It is public land, you know.

Do you think they should have priority over other hunters?
Over squirrel hunters? Yea, squirrel season is already 6 months long. Turkey season is relatively short, I wish we had a fall turkey season like other states but that would affect muzzle loader and archery season

giphy.gif

Over squirrel hunters? Yea, squirrel season is already 6 months long. Turkey season is relatively short, I wish we had a fall turkey season like other states but that would affect muzzle loader and archery season
Agree about the fall turkey season. TN has one of those too, yet somehow, they seem to make it work without too much infringement on deer hunting.

When squirrel hunting on public land during deer season, I always make it a point to never go on weekends, never go in the woods anywhere near I see any other vehicles parked, and to never walk through the woods-just find a spot and sit and wait which is not my favorite way to hunt.

As you said, the season is long, but it's not enjoyable hunting when it's 90 degrees out when the season opens and by the time the weather gets nice, deer season is cranking up already. By the time deer season is over, it's much more difficult to find squirrels and the weather can be really crappy here in the winter-I cancelled several trips this year due to gusting winds in Jan/Feb.

For those reasons, I think it would be a good idea to have a short spring squirrel season at or near the conclusion of our turkey season.

I hunted as much as I could but have to work so I couldn't get out as much as I hoped. I hunt public land a lot and try to avoid deer hunters as much as possible-primarily for my own safety. So that gives me from mid August (HOT) until October then the crappiest months of the season, Jan and Feb..

I believe the states that do have spring seasons, generally have them after turkey seasons to avoid conflicts.

Interesting point on turkey hunters. Do you think they should have priority over other hunters? It is public land, you know.
If you hunt public land you have more than hot august until October....Almost every WMA in GA these days has specific deer hunt dates, and other than those dates, you can hunt squirrels all the other dates. There is more opportunity on public land and more days available to squirrel hunters than every other game animal in the state.

If you hunt public land you have more than hot august until October....Almost every WMA in GA these days has specific deer hunt dates, and other than those dates, you can hunt squirrels all the other dates. There is more opportunity on public land and more days available to squirrel hunters than every other game animal in the state.
Good point. Redlands is closest to me and is closed to deer hunting for a few weeks in December so I was able to get out a couple times this past year. I also hunt a lot on private land and it's easy to get permission to squirrel hunt but almost always get the disclaimer, "as long as deer season isn't in" so it would be nice to have the spring season for those properties as well.

A fall turkey season like other states would be detrimental to our turkey population. Most fall seasons allow the harvest of hens, fall/winter flocks are usually slam full of young birds. An already struggling turkey population doesn't need another season of hunting them.

A fall turkey season like other states would be detrimental to our turkey population. Most fall seasons allow the harvest of hens, fall/winter flocks are usually slam full of young birds. An already struggling turkey population doesn't need another season of hunting them.
I 100% agree with you, I wish we had the (population) conditions to be able to have a fall season

Back
Top Bottom