• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield 1911 loaded problem

tjcz52

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
0   0
Reaction score
I have a friend that just purchased a Springfield 1911 loaded, he was stupid and didn't notice that it had a 2 piece guide rod. He tried to take it a part without unscrewing the guide rod. He called me and after some questions I told him he had a 2 piece rod. The problem is he can't seem to be able to unscrew it. Any suggestion would be helpful since he lives in the mountains and is about 2 hour drive from a gunsmith.

Should have a hex key. If he can't unscrew it some peckerwood put locktite on it. Need to break it loose take the slide off. Compress the recoil spring forward and unscrew the rest of the way. The front half will come out front and the rear half will come out when he carefully eases the spring back. Good luck sir.

Should have a hex key. If he can't unscrew it some peckerwood put locktite on it. Need to break it loose take the slide off. Compress the recoil spring forward and unscrew the rest of the way. The front half will come out front and the rear half will come out when he carefully eases the spring back. Good luck sir.
I believe you are right about the locktite he has gotten the slide off and tried the hex key and held the rod with a pair of pliers but it still won't turn. I Think he may have to travel to a gunsmith and they will have to loosen it with a torch.

Just a thought. If it is a new purchase, or maybe not, give Springfield a call and ask them what to do. They just might take care of the problem for him. You never know until you ask. Also, don't want to tear it up and void any chance of them taking care of the issue.

Another thought is to find the appropriate 1/4" hex bit and put in an impact driver. Sometimes the impacting will break something loose you can't get holding it.

Rosewood

If it does snap in half trying to take it out that may be a blessing. I would put a traditional spring in and get a new two piece to go with it if he sold it. Just my opinion but the full length rods are not worth it imho. Let us know how it turns out.

I replaced the spring and guide rod in my Springfield loaded with it EGW kit. Works great. The person that had the gun before me had totally screwed up the original one, they had taken it apart and put it back together wrong. Do you have any pictures of this situation

Why does he need to take apart the guide rod anyway??

If it causes issues I'd take it out and put a one piece in.
The 2 piece guide rods are longer and have to be disassembled to take the slide off the frame. Or at least you are supposed to. The 1 piece ones are a bit shorter which allow for disassembly. Reassembling with a 2 piece together may be near impossible without beating on it.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom