• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield Armory Inc 1911s now 100% USA made

I did not know the Rugers were cast...That rules them out. Thanks. The Springers are looking better to me everyday. I do know that they shoot very well.

They are quality cast mind you. Ruger has been making cast frames and slides for 1911s for years, long before they ever branded a 1911 themselves. That said, if I wanted a cast gun I would buy a RIA.

I not crazy about but can get behind a foreign built 1911. I am not interested in cast though, or 1911s with external extractors. (S&W and Sig.)

Ruger produces their own frames and slides, but they aren't forgings. Rugers are cast frames and slides. Springfield gets a bunch of their parts for the M1A from Korea so it would make sense that they are now getting their forgings there too. I believe S&W is more than likely producing the forgings for Colt and Kimber but that is 100% speculation.

The EPA has kinda put a kabash on foundries capable of producing raw forgings. I don't know if Kimber got one built before the EPA killed it. I don't believe Colt actually produces anything themselves anymore. I believe they are now like Springfield in that they just do final assembly of parts.

If I'm not mistaken, the slides are machined from bar stock...the frames are cast though. One nice thing about the Ruger though, is it is a Series 70 if that matters to you...

They are quality cast mind you. Ruger has been making cast frames and slides for 1911s for years, long before they ever branded a 1911 themselves. That said, if I wanted a cast gun I would buy a RIA.

I had no idea they had been making frames and slides for years either. I certainly believe some things that are cast can be of good quality, and I have read nothing but good things about the Rugers...Still, for not too much price difference I can have a forged Springfield. With Springfield I also have more choices for the finish.

If I'm not mistaken, the slides are machined from bar stock...the frames are cast though. One nice thing about the Ruger though, is it is a Series 70 if that matters to you...

Too many voids in cast caspian and ruger frames over the years for me to mess around with a cast frame on a 1911. Part of what makes a series 70 a Series 70 is a collet bushing which is why there is no such thing as a series 70 commander. If you are just talking about lack of a firing pin block, SAI, Colt, and Kimber all produce guns that meet that criteria.

I had no idea they had been making frames and slides for years either. I certainly believe some things that are cast can be of good quality, and I have read nothing but good things about the Rugers...Still, for not too much price difference I can have a forged Springfield. With Springfield I also have more choices for the finish.

Yep. Ruger owns Pine Tree Castings which has been producing cast parts for years. Ever hear of Caspian? Pine Tree Castings.

One would think if SA is producing a real 100% US built 1911 they would want everyone to know where the frames are coming from. Seems odd they'd let the internet speculate rather than just provide that information. Sub'd for more information.

Springfield has never made public where their parts come from if they didn't have to. The M1A is almost all foreign sourced but because it is built "enough" in the USA they are said to be made US made guns. Their new 1911s are absolutely covered in made in america hang tags.

I can understand though why they don't release the information. It's really nobody's business but theirs and so long as quality remains the same or better, it doesn't really matter.

Too many voids in cast caspian and ruger frames over the years for me to mess around with a cast frame on a 1911. Part of what makes a series 70 a Series 70 is a collet bushing which is why there is no such thing as a series 70 commander. If you are just talking about lack of a firing pin block, SAI, Colt, and Kimber all produce guns that meet that criteria.
Yes, I was talking about the firing pin block...I didn't know SAI, Colt and Kimber are making guns that are Series 70...the only ones I knew about were Ruger, S&W and DW.

Yes, I was talking about the firing pin block...I didn't know SAI, Colt and Kimber are making guns that are Series 70...the only ones I knew about were Ruger, S&W and DW.

SAI has never had a firing pin block. They have always used a 9mm firing pin which is light enough to make the gun "drop safe". Colt reintroduced the series 70 guns in 2011 if I remember correctly. Kimber offers it on certain guns. The Warrior line is lacking the firing pin block as are all generation 1 Kimbers.

Back
Top Bottom