• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield M1A Shooters - Scope and Shooting in General

SGT AE Houk

Default rank <1000 posts
Knight's Armament Elitist
99   0
Reaction score
Good afternoon folks!

Just had a quick question for all my M1A junkies here on ODT.

I'm almost done building my M1A. She's a SA M1A Scout and I got 'er in an EBR Mod 1 Chassis. Scope mount is on the way from Sage, but I'm a little lost at what glass to go for. I don't mind spending a little cash for quality, I'm just a little unfamiliar with magnified optics. Do you all have any just awe-inspiring, perfect experiences with any particular scopes out there?

Also, where do you go to let your M1A's stretch their legs? I'd love to be able to shoot 300-400 yards at a range if possible. I know space like that is kinda hard to come by around the city.

Cheers for any information folks!

Here she is by the way! https://imgur.com/a/pDTDmVn

Austin

You have one for sale? The Sage Cantilever mount? Would definitely prefer to buy that used if possible, but I am pretty dead set on that particular model.

Athens isn't too far I suppose! Do you know their rates? Are they membership only?

I'm looking to spend about 600 - 800 for the optic, give or take. New or used doesn't really matter either. Just looking for utmost quality within those constraints.

Come shoot the M1A 200yrd match, it's alot of fun.
There will be a Scope class and Irons class.
http://www.rbgc.org/M1A Match/M1A Match.pdf

RBGC M1A Match, Saturday September 29, 2018
River Bend Gun Club is hosting an open match for M14/M1A rifles.
Registration starts at 8am, safety briefing at 8:45, and the match will begin at 9am. Match fee is $15 for members, $20 for non-club members and $5 for juniors (19 and under).
Participants must provide their own ammunition (minimum 50 rounds).
Eligibility: Match is open to the public so you do not need to be a RBGC member to participate.
Course of Fire 200 yards
Stage 1 - Unlimited sighters & 20 slow fire prone shots for record in a block time limit of 25 minutes. All single load.
Stage 2 - Rapid fire, prone starting in position, 10 record shots, time limit of 80 seconds. Mandatory magazine change (2 & 8).
Stage 3 - Rapid fire, sitting starting in position, 10 record shots, time limit of 70 seconds. Mandatory magazine change (2 & 8).
Stage 4 - Slow fire, standing, 10 record shots, time limit of 10 minutes. All single load.
Rifles Permitted: M1A rifles of any configuration or semi-automatic M14 type rifles. No select fire/full automatic.
Classes:
Open Sights - As issued or NM open sights
Any Optic - As stated any optical device used to sight the rifle i.e. red dot, variable or fixed power scope
Directions: River Bend Gun Club can be found at www.rbgc.org The match will be held on the High Power range 200 yard line.
Each participant will be required to pull targets and score for another competitor.

You have one for sale? The Sage Cantilever mount? Would definitely prefer to buy that used if possible, but I am pretty dead set on that particular model.

Athens isn't too far I suppose! Do you know their rates? Are they membership only?

I'm looking to spend about 600 - 800 for the optic, give or take. New or used doesn't really matter either. Just looking for utmost quality within those constraints.

Yup! Have the Sage cantilever QD mount sitting on my bench.

$25 to shoot at Gunsite.

As far as optics, you looking to keep it more of a battle rifle, or going more for precision? Shameless plug, I have a 3-12 Bushnell Elite Tactical with FFP G2DMR reticle posted up under your price range. Would let you marry two worlds.

My top choice for an optic would be the Nightforce ATACR F1 4-16x42mm. It’s compact size is perfect for the rifle you’re mounting it on, and it’s got plenty of power to reach further than the gun will. It was developed for the SOCOM Compact Special Application Sniper System.

As for mounting optics, I have no useful advice other than I like having a scope on my M1A for hunting or for informal target shooting.
My M1A wears a fixed 4X deer rifle scope, 1" tube, 32mm front lens.
I only wanted the scope for deer hunting or casual target shooting at Coke bottles and milk jugs out to 200 yards and it serves that role just fine.

I've also used it at 300 yards and it works great for that too although the magnification is rather low, it's still a heck of a lot more magnification then the iron sites give you (none).

Since you're in Rozwell, I would say your best choice for a range to shoot would be to enter various matches at the Riverbend gun club in Dawsonville (RBGC.org).
It's really more like halfway between Canton and Dawsonville about 25 minutes north west of Cumming. you don't have to be a member to attend any match there, and you can go to a match with no intention of winning as long as you can participate safely. They have rifle matches regularly, twice a month, that shoot at 200, 300 and 600 yards .

Thanks alleycat alleycat

I am no expert , I will say that the Scout will be less accurate at yardage than a 22” barrel

Now dont get me wrong I have (2) Scouts and love them.

Good mount is critical.

I have a Leupold on one of my M1A its nice

A shorter barrel is stiffer and has less flex otherwise known as barrel harmonics. Therefore , all other factors being equal , a short barrel should be more accurate than a long barrel.
At least for any reasonable range where you don't need the fastest possible velocity to combat wind drift or extreme bullet drop.

18 inch barrel 308 should give you excellent tight groups out to at least 600 yards and satisfactory performance to ring big steel plates at 1000.

Back
Top Bottom