• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield Prodigy

gyppo

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
NRA Instructor
173   0
Reaction score
I got a used 4.25 prodigy a couple of weeks ago and was expecting that it was having functioning Issues since it was bought and sold within a week. I polished the important Internals and lapped the slide to frame fit. It feels slick but is not reliable. I fired about 300 rounds and it would fail to feed every 10 rounds or so With my match rounds. These are significantly undersized and feed in all of my other guns, I am going to polish the chamber more. I will not be shooting major loads in this gun so I will probably open up the barrel some near the feed ramp. All of the malfunctions were cured with a bump of the slide. It is good in accuracy. It was hitting within about a foot at 120 yards when I didn’t pull it off target.
I would be pissed if I were buying it new and expecting it to work out of the box But I am not disappointed. I expected it would take some work to get it running properly. It could even be the mag the rounds are hitting the feed ramp a little low.

Going to try a 12 pound spring this weekend. my match loads are 124s at 1050 with N320. It is a soft shooting load I may have to bump up a half a grain to get a 12 lb spring to run reliably.

I have polished the friction points, I am going to own getting this one running. SA is not going to warranty any customization work, even though it makes it easier for them to fix. Still happy with the gun even though it needs some tweaking.

I put a Wilson Combat 12# spring and Bulletproof disconnector in mine as soon as I got it and it has run 100%...not a single hiccup.

What ammo by chance?
I've shot GA Arms 124gr FMJ mostly, along with various other brands of boxed 124gr and 115gr FMJ ammo...but I have not tried any 147gr or HP ammo yet, and probably won't since this is just a target gun for me and I don't plan on carrying it. Probably 90% of my ammo is GA Arms 124gr because I buy it in the bulk ammo cans.

But as soon as I got mine, I could tell that the slide was dragging pretty bad on the disconnector...and I could actually pull the slide back slowly until it cleared the disconnector and if I slowly let the slide go, it would stay there. I looked at the disconnector on my Staccato, and it seemed to have a steeper angle than the one in the Prodigy. When I manually ran some dummy rounds through the Prodigy, I could also tell that the slide was closing a little weak.

While I was waiting on mine to be delivered, I read about the feeding issues and watched videos of people having to bump the slide into battery. In the comments of one video, someone mentioned the Wilson Combat spring and disconnector change...so I went ahead and ordered them. I installed them before I ever took it to the range, so I have no idea how mine would have ran with the stock parts...but it just didn't feel right with the disconnector dragging that bad. After I installed the new parts it was a night and day difference...no disconnector drag at all and the slide closed with a little more authority when stripping rounds out of the mag, so it felt much smoother. I think I could have stoned and polished the disconnector and that would have solved the issue, and then it probably would have run fine with the stock spring...but I wanted to leave the stock parts alone, just in case it didn't run with the new parts and I needed to send it back to Springfield.

But, so far it's been 100% reliable from the start with about 500 rounds through it...so I'm gonna leave it alone as long as it keeps running this good. You can call me crazy...but honestly, I think it shoots as good as my Staccato.

Here's some of our range time with it...

I bought a 5" on here that had been sent back to SA. The work order listed: Ream and polish the chamber, polish feed ramp, replaced and tuned extractor, lubed, safety checked and tested. So far I've put 300rds through without a single issue with various 115g and 124g boxed ammo. Shoots great. I've notice that little hitch with the disconnector mentioned too but it runs fine.

Back
Top Bottom