• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield standard M1A accuracy out of the box.

IMG_3719.JPG Heavy Heavy barrel has a heavier stock. DOwnside makes rifle heavier.

From my experience with standard models, I've had three and still own one, they are rack grade shooters. Not putting them down, they do what they are intended to..put rounds on target. I only had triggers done, the 4.5 lb is normal, required minimum, if you decide to compete any. They do shoot good, but if it shoots more like 3-5 " at 100, don't fret. Just decide if you want to invest in getting it accurate. I will say, if you shoot battle sights good and use that good ammo it will do the best it can..Good luck and enjoy. Not saying you won't shoot 2", but if not, be patient...

First, you'll need to put 400 to 500 rounds down range befre the average M1A "settles in". Don't get frustrated. You should have no trouble with getting 1 moa out of that rifle from a rest with good ammunition. Shoot it for a while, clean the gas system every 400 rounds and you'll be far more impressed with what you might do with that rifle over the Teutonic Titanic you were considering. I've owned four HK91s over the years and three M1As. I habe no HK91s now but still have the 3 M1As. I'm an average shooter but I do well with my NM Springfield.

I have a National Match M1A, and for the longest time, I could not get any better than 5 m.o.a. from it.
Then I tried some good commercial ammo instead of the diet of old foreign mil-surp ammo that I'd been feeding it (nothing corrosive, nothing steel-cased).
My groups tightened up considerably, and the Federal GM308 with the famous 168 grain SMK bullet was much more accurate than any other round.
Then, I put a scope on it. As much as I wanted to be good with iron sights, I've never, ever, with any rifle, been as good with irons as with a scope. Even a fixed 4X scope ($75 Bushnell) cut the group sizes in half on my M1A.

With a 4X scope and across a sandbag rest from 80 yards (I couldn't quite get 100 at that range), I put 3 shots in a group the size of a nickel.
When I took off the scope, it was a group the size of a tennis ball.
When I tried 5 rounds of old Venezuelan military surplus ammo, my groups were the size of a grapefruit.

What is considered the norm for a standard SA M1A accuracy for a out of the box rifle?

If I go to the range and come home cussing my M1As because they shoot minute of pie plate who/what would be my best bet on getting new barrels and accuracy on par with what I expect from my rifles? I wish Hook was still around.

I haven't shot my M1As yet so I probably should start there. I will be using federal 168 grain BTHP Sierra match ammo so that should take ammo out of the equation.

Out of the box - 2 to 3 MOA with standard 147gr ammo.
I would not rush to change the factory barrel, it's good to go.
Modernizing your M1A with a chassis stock like the heavy SAGE EBR, or the light weight Blackfeather RS will typically cut your MOA by 1/2. Use better than 147gr ammunition or hand loads, and your modernized groups will be tighter & more consistent.
IMG_5121.JPG

Back
Top Bottom