• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield standard M1A accuracy out of the box.

Lots of accurizing techniques that improve accuracy. Barrel, unitized gas system, neck tension being correct, rigidity of stock. Based upon all I have read some rifles will like certain ammo others a different load.
MEdium heavy barrel, heavy heavy barrel, bedded stock

Op rod spring guide is GI as standard replace with a Sadlak national match op rod spring guide cheap and easy.

Flash hider, if a standard some say reamed FH helps with accuracy (bayo lug does not, LOL)

In for range reports.
Here we go....Lots of accuracy tips and tricks out there. You have to be patient and find the dope .

My SA NM didn't start to produce decent groups until I'd put about 440 rounds downrange. I'm a fair to middling rifle shooter so I did some reading and tried various handloads until I got comfortable with the rifle and it "settled in." Don't go changing a bunch of stuff until you've at least tried 42.3 grains of 4064 with a SMK 175 grain bullet. Milsurp is mostly garbage for accuracy but fine for practicing form and hold and trigger pull. If I can't load I buy FGMM. It produces good groups at 200 - 600 yards.

From my experience with standard models, I've had three and still own one, they are rack grade shooters. Not putting them down, they do what they are intended to..put rounds on target. I only had triggers done, the 4.5 lb is normal, required minimum, if you decide to compete any. They do shoot good, but if it shoots more like 3-5 " at 100, don't fret. Just decide if you want to invest in getting it accurate. I will say, if you shoot battle sights good and use that good ammo it will do the best it can..Good luck and enjoy. Not saying you won't shoot 2", but if not, be patient...
Good advice

OK, I reread my previous post...what I meant was...take out all the variables...use a rest, etc. Sorry about that...

I know what I was thinking when I posted but it didn't come out right, huh? Lol :doh:

The new Christmas scope mounted.

xmass scope.jpg

Back
Top Bottom