• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield XDS 9mm field strip issue - frozen slide

bravejason

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
18   0
Reaction score
I've messed up my Springfield XDS 9mm and want to see if anyone here has an answer.

The issue is that the takedown level freezes the slide and so I can't field strip the gun. I have no idea what I did to cause the problem and I don't know if it was something that happened the last time I reassembled the gun or if I did something out of sequence when I tried to field strip it the other day. I haven't used or carried the gun in several months and it seemed to be working fine the last time I used it.

I remove the magazine, lock the slide to the rear, flip up the take down lever, and then can't budge the slide. The slide is absolutely frozen in place. If I return the take down level back down, the slide cycles just fine, and the gun will dry fire and re-cock.

I was finally able to field strip the gun by using one hand to push the slide back by pressing it against a vice and then by adjusting how far back the slide has been retracted, I was able flip the takedown lever with my other hand and get the slide off of the frame. Trying the field strip normally with the slide locked by the slide stop results in a frozen slide. To reiterate, the magazine was removed.

Having finally managed to field strip the gun, I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the internals.

Then I found that I could not reassemble the gun. The slide will go back almost enough to engage the slide stop, but not far enough. It stops about a millimeter short of where it needs to in order for the slide stop to engage. I kept fiddling with it and at one point the slide did back back far enough for me to drop the takedown lever, though I have no idea what I did to make it happen. Once the slide stop was engaged, I was able to turn the takedown level down and the slide cycles like it should.

Having reassembled the gun, I tried to field strip it again and ran into the same problem described above (i.e., the slide freezes in place when the take down lever is rotated up).

Any ideas before I take it to a gunsmith or send it off to Springfield?

Have you tried cycling the trigger to release the slide? I haven't owned an XDs yet but lots of autos are field stripped in that manner. Just a shot in the dark.

I solved the problem. Apparently, I had inadvertently put the spring from an XDS-45 into the XDS-9, and vice versa. I didn't think that I had both guns field stripped at the same time, but I must have done so.

I didn't shoot the .45 while it had the 9mm spring in it, though I suspect the worst that would have happened is that gun would not have cycled reliably.

Back
Top Bottom