• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

squirrel hunting advice

pistolpat

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
looking to hunt squirrel for the first time this year. I live basically right across the street from paulding forest so thats where I will be going. I will be using my 10-22 takedown suppressed and I have a few questions
1. whats the best times of the day
2. do you clean them as you go and carry them in a bag or do them all at once at the end of the day
3. dumplings/stew or fried?
4. say you only get two one day can you freeze them to add to kills from another day to feed a few more people?
5. this is a long shot but does anyone know of any sweet spots for them at paulding forest?

When I go I take a few Walmart plastic bags and keep them in my backpack. I usually get 4-5 per bag and skin clean when I get home.

Also have a stump I clean them at as well as a small bucket of water to put the cleaned ones in to keep the yellow jackets and flys off them.

4-5 is a good size meal and I prefer the dumplings in thick gravey method with veggies (onions/carrots)

Wife won't touch it but the kids and I eat it up and I take the rest to work the following day.

looking to hunt squirrel for the first time this year. I live basically right across the street from paulding forest so thats where I will be going. I will be using my 10-22 takedown suppressed and I have a few questions
1. whats the best times of the day
2. do you clean them as you go and carry them in a bag or do them all at once at the end of the day
3. dumplings/stew or fried?
4. say you only get two one day can you freeze them to add to kills from another day to feed a few more people?
5. this is a long shot but does anyone know of any sweet spots for them at paulding forest?
1. Early morning from dawn till 10-11. Go into the woods sit down and don't move and wait..If nothing happens in 15 minutes move 50 yrds and start over..Make sure you are in the oak acorn producers. and so on
2. I carry them in the sack behind my back.
3. Yes to all three, but I am partial to dumplings.
4. I do freeze but make sure it is air tight and don't wait to long...
5. Paulding I have no idea! Good luck hunting..

Only thing i can caution you about is carrying them in a game bag when it's 90 degrees. I like to use a game carrier or even use my belt so they will cool down some. Reason I don't put them in plastic until they are clean and on ice.

Your allowed 12 per day...

Take a kid with you :thumb:

Orange is always Worn when I take the kiddos other then Turkey season... too many jackasses out there!

IMG_8778.JPG

Back
Top Bottom