• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

squirrel hunting advice

If you are hunting by yourself a pair of binoculars will come in handy. They can hide by pressing their bodies against the tree trunk...look carefully, especially where a limb joins the tree.

You can wait them out...if you can be still.

One of my favorite tricks is keeping some stones in my pocket. After being still a few minutes, toss a stone or two to the opposite side of the tree...you will see the little sucker sliding around the tree towards you.

Two people works even better. One sets up and sits still while the other moves around the base of tree. Be ready.

Oh, and go for head shots. No meat damage.

I hunted squirrels a lot as a youngster. Lot's of fun. As far as carrying them, you could buy a cheap fish stringer. Make a small cut in one of the back legs between the thigh bone and the tendon just like you would do on a deer that you were going to hang, and string them up to carry. Although I love the dumplings my mama used to cook young squirrels for us and it was the best I have ever had even though she would not eat them. She would fry them like chicken in a electric skillet. Then slow simmer/smother cook them in brown onion gravy. Serve over white rice with some veggies and you have a fine meal. Best of luck...it's a lot of fun.

One of my favorite tricks is keeping some stones in my pocket. After being still a few minutes, toss a stone to two to the opposite side of the tree...you will see the little sucker sliding around the tree towards you.
This tactic will produce a majority of the squirrels that you kill.

Went to Paulding Forest today. Saw nothing. I would sit in a hardwood section with plenty of nuts on the ground, sit for like 15 minutes just looking and listening. Heard nothing, saw nothing. I moved quietly, didn't step on a single branch, had camo on. I was out there from 11-2... not a single thing.

Went to Paulding Forest today. Saw nothing. I would sit in a hardwood section with plenty of nuts on the ground, sit for like 15 minutes just looking and listening. Heard nothing, saw nothing. I moved quietly, didn't step on a single branch, had camo on. I was out there from 11-2... not a single thing.
11-2 They have gone to take a nap by that time.

Early in the morning (right after day break) and late in the evening right before dusk are the best times I have found they are moving.

I like to spot and stalk them. Listen for chatter, quietly sneak up on them and blast them. Sometimes when they are barking way out there I am able ease in there and bust them. That's a good feeling when you can stalk in and then knock them down.

Back
Top Bottom