• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrel

mom used to soak it over night in lightly salted water and just a touch of vinegar . boil it for 15 / 30 mins to tenderize then egg wash, toss it in flower and fry it. make gravy out of the drippings. cook a pan of biscuits.

I blast them, then leave them for the possum and racoons, usually gone next morning. Good sport and they dont get in my house or sheds

As mentioned above boil it until you can get meat off bones,and use stock for rice,or dumplings good eats.

Thank you all! My brother wants me to do the dumplin's. I make a dyn-o-mite Chicken and dumplin's; boil the chicken and remove the bone, use the juice, add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, back into the broth, and then make my own dumplin's (which I roll out, rather than spoon out), so they are flat.

Do you use the broth/gravy from the squirrel? Does it really taste good? My brother says it tastes like rabbit, but the last time I ate squirrel was when I was about 5-6, so I don't remember. It really stunk when I cleaned it, but not as bad as the chickens stink when we process them, so I'm assuming that was just the guts that stunk and the meat will taste good?

I'll admit that I don't like to eat tree rats, but it's fun to go for a walk in the woods and sniper one off every now and then. They drive me "nuts" when I'm deer hunting. See what I did there;)

Back
Top Bottom