• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrels Galore

Is that Popcorn Sutton in your avatar? Popcorn was my ex mother-in-law`s cousin. She was a Hatfield, a direct descendant of Devil Anse`s brother. Forgot which one. All Hatfields I ever met were good squirrel hunters.

Yesterday was a good day, seen more Squirrels yesterday before noon than I have in a long time
weather must have had something to do with it
put 7 in the freezer

got 42 so far, i don't think I'll break last years record of 68

ended the season with 73 Squirrels, breaking last years record of 68

my 2 favorites, Marlin 15yn youth .22 & Remington 870 youth 20ga

2v3fnp.jpg

Attachments

• 20190303_071610.jpg
    20190303_071610.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14
I am curious at the resultant cost of squirrel meat vs the cost of ammo (including an assumed number of misses).
depends on how good the shooter is. .22 was cheap before covid and i've got more than i'll shoot for a long time. i think i have some remington i bought back in the 80's sitting around somewhere.

936E60E1-8597-48A1-A613-ABD935C54ED9.jpeg
My daughter killed her first squirrel earlier this year and gotten a few more since. I got in with a lease but we’ve had a lot of luck at an old fellas house who invited us to his property that had oaks loaded with acorns this year. Super proud of her... it was her first year hunting and I really just started hunting again for the first time since I was in my early teens to let her experience it.

We’ve had a few meals out of them. I haven’t kept count but we’ve gotten between 1 and 2 dozen at this point. Squirrels were my favorite thing to hunt as a kid as it was the one time I could hunt and didn’t have to sit still and be quiet.

I use .22LR or a PCP .22 airgun. As a kid... my I had a youth model (or chopped down) 311 SxS .410 that was a ton of fun. I made sure it went to his niece per his instructions after he passed for her kids.

Back
Top Bottom