• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stag grips help needed

davis211

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
27   0
Reaction score
My dad gave me his favorite handgun a few months before he passed- a 1967 Blackhawk .41 Mag (SN 41XX). It has some beautiful stag grips on it while my 45 Vaquero convertible has those ugly synthetic grips. Looking online I see stag and elk grips. What's on the Blackhawk- is there a way to tell? I want something very close for my Vaquero but I know they won't have the aged look like the .41. Any ideas on style & good place to purchase from?
Thanks.

IMG_4909.JPG

If you check places like eBay you can find someone selling an old set of grips. They'll have some age and color in them.

I've darkened up some synthetic grips in the past that were basically a matrix of plastic and ivory dust. I soaked some in coffee and another set I rubbed black boot polish into. I liked the coffee better; monitor it and they will darken gradually the longer you soak them. I realize stay antler ain't the same material, but it's porous and it would probably worn.

I'm thinking the Blackhawk has sambar stags on it due to the depth in the bark. New ones are $350ish & up. Can't find any used ones. Red stag & elk are around $175 might go with them. Wanting to "keep it real" & get rid of my Vaquero synthetic grips- just don't know the difference between all of them other than price.

I'm thinking the Blackhawk has sambar stags on it due to the depth in the bark. New ones are $350ish & up. Can't find any used ones. Red stag & elk are around $175 might go with them. Wanting to "keep it real" & get rid of my Vaquero synthetic grips- just don't know the difference between all of them other than price.

Red stag and elk are not nearly as dense as sambar stag. There are a lot of used, vintage stag grips on eBay. I just checked.

I noticed one set on eBay for $249 - not much bark and about 4 sets for $349. The ones for $349 look pretty good, guess I'll have to quit trying to be so cheap & bite the bullet!

Back
Top Bottom