• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stand by generator

I've got a simple 7000 watt Briggs & Stratton key start, gas generator. I've had it 4 years now with zero problems. The power goes out up hear all the time. My gen gets A LOT of use. Start it just like starting a car and then flip the breaker to the GEN position. VERY easy to operate. No computers to worry about. It runs my fridge, well pump, lights. It will run about 9 hours on a single tank of gas, much longer on a low load like in the night time (leave the tank full and you'll never be in the dark pouring gas). It's portable so you can move it if needed. The best part is that it cost under $1000. yes, the wiring and switch box will cost extra

IMO LP gas is not the way to go. In a winter emergency the LP will be used for heat. Gasoline for the generator. In a SHTF situation you can get gasoline from cars, lawnmowers, etc. When the LP runs out then there's no more that can be had as easy as gasoline.
The ONLY reason I would ever have a computer controlled LP gen is if I were unable to walk or lift a can of gasoline. If you can pour gas into a lawnmower then you can fuel a generator. I keep three 5 gallon cans full at all times. A smaller or weaker person (I'm 5'9" , 140lbs) may want to use 2 gallon cans for easier lifting/pouring.

There's no need to spend 10 grand on a generator system unless you're physically handicapped.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-...ic-Start-Portable-Generator-030663A/206644014

Regardless of the brand generator you go with, do a routine generator run. At least once a month. When you run the generator, transfer the house load to the generator. Let the generator run for a while under load. This will help identify problems before your power is out. (old batteries, added load etc.) Do the routine run at different times of day to confirm that if your electrical load varies during the day that your generator can handle the load.

I've got a simple 7000 watt Briggs & Stratton key start, gas generator. I've had it 4 years now with zero problems. The power goes out up hear all the time. My gen gets A LOT of use. Start it just like starting a car and then flip the breaker to the GEN position. VERY easy to operate. No computers to worry about. It runs my fridge, well pump, lights. It will run about 9 hours on a single tank of gas, much longer on a low load like in the night time (leave the tank full and you'll never be in the dark pouring gas). It's portable so you can move it if needed. The best part is that it cost under $1000. yes, the wiring and switch box will cost extra

IMO LP gas is not the way to go. In a winter emergency the LP will be used for heat. Gasoline for the generator. In a SHTF situation you can get gasoline from cars, lawnmowers, etc. When the LP runs out then there's no more that can be had as easy as gasoline.
The ONLY reason I would ever have a computer controlled LP gen is if I were unable to walk or lift a can of gasoline. If you can pour gas into a lawnmower then you can fuel a generator. I keep three 5 gallon cans full at all times. A smaller or weaker person (I'm 5'9" , 140lbs) may want to use 2 gallon cans for easier lifting/pouring.

There's no need to spend 10 grand on a generator system unless you're physically handicapped.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Briggs-...ic-Start-Portable-Generator-030663A/206644014

My biggest thing is I am gone alot and dont want my wife out trying to pour gas in a generator when I could just have a 200 gallon tank full and ready to go. I have considered a dual fuel generator as well just seems like more things to go wrong.

I have studied up on this very thing. To do a standby situation generator, I personally would look into an older military diesel style genset that is trailer mounted. Diesel has a very very long shelf life, and older diesel engines can be run on almost anything you can find thats flammable, including gasoline, if you pour some oil in it. There is no carbureator to mess up, no fuel lines to crack and leak, etc, with a diesel unit. The unit does not even have to be a military unit, just a large construction generator would also work just fine. Two hot batteries with a small battery tender plugged into it to keep them fully charged and there is literally nothing to break or cause a failure.

I have studied up on this very thing. To do a standby situation generator, I personally would look into an older military diesel style genset that is trailer mounted. Diesel has a very very long shelf life, and older diesel engines can be run on almost anything you can find thats flammable, including gasoline, if you pour some oil in it. There is no carbureator to mess up, no fuel lines to crack and leak, etc, with a diesel unit. The unit does not even have to be a military unit, just a large construction generator would also work just fine. Two hot batteries with a small battery tender plugged into it to keep them fully charged and there is literally nothing to break or cause a failure.

Never thought about that, will have to look into that option!

You better stay away from Generac!!! Check out BBB complaints! Generac dos not honor warranty, even when the 20KW bought on LOWES website, was only 8 months old stopped working...

I now have an $8,000. boat anchor...I keep getting emails\ offers from Generac to buy whole house gen. now & get 10yr. free warranty, ha ha what a joke. I am not the only one either.
Oh by the way I forgot to disclose that my gen. did have a lot of hours on it when it quit doing the weekly automated starts (it had 3 hrs. on it).

Ok so I am looking into getting a stand by generator to run most things in the house when the power goes out, I live a ways out and there are only 7 houses in my area so when the power goes out I am more often than not the last one to get it back on.
With that being said I am looking at getting a 16000 watt generac that runs on lp with a smart switch so it automatically comes on when the power goes out. With all that said what are the pros and cons other brands ect.ect.
The installation was done correctly, Blue Ridge EMC. A Generac dealer installed a new "motherboard" or control panel 7 years ago. It worked for about 5 months. The last Generac dealer was here last year (same problem) control panel bad again. Both repairmen stated that these units are known to have control panels that go out...It sill has only 3 hrs total run time from the "auto starts". This same dealer said to replace panel & labor would be: $950. Or they could sell me a new whole house "20kw" for approx. $8,000. installed & they would take away my old (8yrs. "20kw") for me! What a deal. I would then have $16,000. put into 2 units. Side note, an attorney from California called me to ask questions about my experience with my Generac. Something about a class action lawsuit that is being started. P.S. When I called LOWE'S to get Gen replaced or repaired they said we have nothing to do with it as you purchased it from LOWE'S Website Online!!!

If I could find an Electrician that would take off all of the electronic garbage of of this unit, I'm sure it would run fine manually.

Back
Top Bottom