• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Start A Corona Garden Now

Just food for thought here,been a gardener for many yrs.Last frost date for N.Ga is April 15th,would try to plant after,that frost date may have changed in recent yrs due to global warming.but I have always stuck to it.If you don't have much room and want to do raised beds those blue plastic 50 Gal drums can be cut lengthwise and have a 2x6 mounted on each end to level it,place some gravel in the bottom after drilling drainage holes and fill with mixture of topsoil and good ole ga clay as it has lots of minerals in it.I add some cow manure for beans as they like lots of nitrogen,same w/peas and other legumes.Stake/cage your maters early depending on variety.I grow 2 varietys, cherry and beefsteak,squash and zucchini are also great,keep an eye on them they'll double fruit size overnite and smaller is better,wrap some aluimum foil around the base to keep borers out ,.If you can swing it the 4-6 inch steel hog wire at Tractor supply in 16 ft lengths can be cut in half and tee-peed om stakes they also sell thats great for pole beans,grapes,etc,just my views,carry on,but a great idea for this yr and going forward.I also donate my extras to the local homeless shelters as well as many of my gardenless neighbors

As long as the can is intact and isn't bulging (botulism), it should be good to go. Canned food loses nutrition value, texture, taste over time but never really goes bad. If you want to put a number on it, I'd say 10 years if stored properly. I remember reading a story about a family finding canned food from WWII in a backyard bomb shelter that grandpa had dug and then eating it. The 50+ year old canned food was fine.
As far as I know, we are talking about canning in glass jars. They don't bulge.

Back
Top Bottom