• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Started my 80 percent Anderson lower build

Looks good, You should just clear the next one. Harbor freight on bells ferry has a set of end mills for around $50. I think there is 20 bits in it. They work pretty good, the only problem I had with them is that the bigger bits don't seem to be sharp enough to make good clean cuts. It might be different with aluminum. I used them on my glock to put on a RMR. Then I tried doing the side of the slide and messed it up. So now I have a one of a kind custom gluck

Looks good, You should just clear the next one. Harbor freight on bells ferry has a set of end mills for around $50. I think there is 20 bits in it. They work pretty good, the only problem I had with them is that the bigger bits don't seem to be sharp enough to make good clean cuts. It might be different with aluminum. I used them on my glock to put on a RMR. Then I tried doing the side of the slide and messed it up. So now I have a one of a kind custom gluck

A custom Glock ? Hell, thats as good as gold on the ODT.

20170118_052326.jpg

Not trying to hi jack your post but here is the one side that is done

The rmr worked out pretty good, I had to do a little more filing than I probably should have. The rmr was nice and tight with almost a machine perfect fit. That was what gave me the false confidence to try the sides of the slide. Well live and learn. The way i looked at it was that if it didn't work out I would have to buy a slide with the cut out in it so i figured it was worth a shot. I like trying new things. The only problem that I had was that there was to much play in everything. It's a drill press and a milling vise not an milling machine. No one thing had much play but when it was all added together it was a lot at least as far as milling goes. Now its just another custom glock. Not sure if I'm goig to leave it or just reslick the sides and be done with it.

The rmr worked out pretty good, I had to do a little more filing than I probably should have. The rmr was nice and tight with almost a machine perfect fit. That was what gave me the false confidence to try the sides of the slide. Well live and learn. The way i looked at it was that if it didn't work out I would have to buy a slide with the cut out in it so i figured it was worth a shot. I like trying new things. The only problem that I had was that there was to much play in everything. It's a drill press and a milling vise not an milling machine. No one thing had much play but when it was all added together it was a lot at least as far as milling goes. Now its just another custom glock. Not sure if I'm goig to leave it or just reslick the sides and be done with it.

I'd like to give it a go, but worried about mill chatter and such. Like you, I only have a drill press and not an actual mill. In the end, I guess slides sent that expensive and it is a lot of fun to tinker, especially if it ends up nice.

You can still see some of the chatter but it gets covered up by the rmr. I was able to file most of it out. I found that if I used the larger end mills that the chatter was worse that with the small ones. I used a 3/16 end mill. I tried starting off with a 3/8 but it was to much and wanted to walk around more.

Back
Top Bottom