Starter problem?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
Just tried starting the truck (Avalanche). It 'acts' 'like the battery is dead. It's not. Fully charged. Put key in, all lights come on like normal, turn ignition and everything immediately dies stone cold. Rinse repeat. Battery terminals look fine. :confused: Battery charger gets a big hit when trying to start. Short? I know squat about mechanicals... or electricals for that matter.

Sounds like a battery to me, the battery may have 12VDC or better but the older the battery gets the more the cranking amps decrease. I would have the battery tested before I moved forward...it's free at Autozone!

Take battery to parts store, they will load test, batteries can break inside, still read full volts, fail under a load.

Solenoid?
No clue.

The engine doesn't try to turn over at all?

Also I'm assuming you don't get the clicking like the battery is weak?
Nope and nope.

How old is the battery?
Not sure but spun like a top last weekend.

Sounds like a battery to me, the battery may have 12VDC or better but the older the battery gets the more the cranking amps decrease. I would have the battery tested before I moved forward...it's free at Autozone!
I've got a new battery I can swap and test.... be back in a few...

Just tried starting the truck (Avalanche). It 'acts' 'like the battery is dead. It's not. Fully charged. Put key in, all lights come on like normal, turn ignition and everything immediately dies stone cold. Rinse repeat. Battery terminals look fine. :confused: Battery charger gets a big hit when trying to start. Short? I know squat about mechanicals... or electricals for that matter.

Could be dead cells in the battery, or just bad connections. Check the connections to the starter

Back
Top Bottom