• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starter problem?

Just tried starting the truck (Avalanche). It 'acts' 'like the battery is dead. It's not. Fully charged. Put key in, all lights come on like normal, turn ignition and everything immediately dies stone cold. Rinse repeat. Battery terminals look fine. :confused: Battery charger gets a big hit when trying to start. Short? I know squat about mechanicals... or electricals for that matter.

Its not a short. A short is a direct connection from power to ground bypassing the load, think taking the long way home vs. short cut. A short would let all the magic smoke out of the wires for that circuit.

OK, update, now THIS is weird..... The terminals are on the side of the battery and like everything now, jammed in where you can't see anything. I pulled the battery and the neg terminal did have some corrosion on it contrary to how it appeared externally. While I was waiting for the baking soda to do it's thing I connected another known good battery to it with jumper cables. The truck went nuts when I turned the key. Lights randomly going on and off, interior fan wide open (even though fan switch is off) etc.. and would CONTINUE even after I pulled the key out. :wacko: Had to disconnect battery to get it to stop. Finished cleaning terminal, put old battery back in and all appears fine now. :confused: :noidea:

Cable connections may look fine, make sure they are both tight. Get a 5/32 or 8mm wrench and loosen and tighten the battery cables where they connect to the battery, this same issue happens on our suburban about every two weeks.

OK, update, now THIS is weird..... The terminals are on the side of the battery and like everything now, jammed in where you can see anything. I pulled the battery and the neg terminal did have some corrosion on it contrary to how it appeared externally. While I was waiting for the baking soda to do it's thing I connected another known good battery to it with jumper cables. The truck went nuts when I turned the key. Lights randomly going on and off, interior fan wide open (even though fan switch is off) etc.. and would CONTINUE even after I pulled the key out. :wacko: Had to disconnect battery to get it to stop. Finished cleaning terminal, put old battery back in and all appears fine now. :confused: :noidea:

Is your truck a woman by chance? Cuz that could be it.

Glad you got it working again and it didn't cost anything but time!

Is your truck a woman by chance? Cuz that could be it.

Glad you got it working again and it didn't cost anything but time!
Hmmm... perhaps it's been my bad assuming it's gender all these years.
Home Depot run was uneventful. Cruising on....

You've got a loose connection on a cable or corrosion, but more likely loose. Put a wrench on all the battery cable connections on the battery and on the starter.

Edit*** just saw changing the battery, I think you'll be fine, sounds like you had a bad connection there, you get wacky issues when the ecm is starved for power.

those side post are junk hate them

I suggest getting it really clean with a wire brush and make sure the bolt tightens fully to battery , I seen those strip a battery easy

If so , new battery and new bolts easy fix

Go to slickdeala.com

Search for advance auto parts for discount codes 40 percent off for the new battery

Back
Top Bottom