• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starting a martial arts school

MRH

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
God, family, guitars, and guns.
208   0
Reaction score
So at the encouragement of some folks around me, and a couple of teenagers who have literally begged me to teach them, I am seriously considering opening a martial arts school. It will be street defense oriented, and will primarily focus on avoid, defend, escape. Violent force will be a last resort, when guns either aren't available at hand, or unnecessary. It will also promote self discipline and positivity, along with confidence building and better physical fitness.

I am not soliciting for students here. I am hoping to solicit ideas and perhaps advice from legal minded folks and fellow business owners in regards to waivers, insurance, etc. I have acquired some waivers that I believe will suffice. I will definitely have an attorney who specializes in liabilities to take a look to see that everything is covered. Also, I have taught for many years and understand how much of this works already, but I have never been a school owner. Besides insurance and waivers of liability, is there anything else I should consider to protect myself? This question can be answered by other business owners of any type of business where liability waivers and insurance are a necessity.

I plan to start small and cheap. I am actively seeking out possible locations, including one room deals inside already established businesses. My church is a definite possibility. This is not some impulsive decision either. I have been studying on it for a long while (25+ years LOL) and though I am still not 100% on pursuing this, I am very close. Furthermore, this will not be my full time gig. It is simply a more fun and interesting way to earn a small second income. I don't plan or want a big school. Just a few serious, dedicated students who bring the mindset of helping one another. I already have some students lined up.

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but we do have some business owners on here who are pretty sharp, so I figured it could not hurt to ask. Any advice, tips, etc will be appreciated. Trolls please troll elsewhere. Gracias

why not? land of opportunity here. martial arts encourage discipline and is far more respectable than endorsing ****ty overpriced junk like some do on here such as 'go to such and such a place and overpay because forum dickwad says so'

Reactions: MRH
What kind or forms will you teach or will it be a mixture?

A mix of Korean, Brazilian, and western boxing, mostly. I also have a couple of highly capable instructor friends from other disciplines who will be contributing. One of them is a BJJ black belt, and he is very good.

Didn't mean to troll. Just first thing that came to mind when you said your making a martial arts school.

At least he had a healthy enrollment! LOL...

Yeah this will be street oriented, strictly for defense. None of the point tournament stuff. Nothing against those guys, just not what I'm doing here.

Back
Top Bottom