• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Starting to dig Mausers...where to start in collecting?

Rbenzo

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
Anyone have advice on how to get into Mauser collecting?
Any recommendations on reference books?

The more I read online it seems there are tons of variations, unscrupulous sellers and mix matched rifles out there.

The great thing about collecting Mausers is all parts were serialized to the receiver serial number. So, do not let someone BS you into believing that a rifle with mismatched numbers is original. If the number does not match, it was NOT original to that rifle so pay according. The second thing about collecting Mausers is the sheer number of countries that used them. You can send a lifetime collecting them and never find every variance. Like any collection, invest in the documentation. Mauser Military Rifles of the World, (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauser-Mil...h=item3d78fdc742:g:VBgAAOSwWOxbOkB2:rk:2:pf:0 )is a good starting point. Remember " Knowledge is Power!"

Mausers are the AKs of the bolt action world. Practically every country has made or used a variant of some sort. If you want to start seriously collecting, research is your friend.
You will soon become addicted, and there is no known (or desired) cure.

I love my Spanish FR-8, not your ordinary Mauser. But then, there is not a bad Mauser made. All of the variants are worthy of collecting, if in good shape.

Re: Title of this thread:
If you have to dig up the Mausers for your collection, they're probably going to have little collector's value. Try to find some that have never been lost or buried in the ground.
You're welcome.

yugo captured german k98 and the yugoslavian m48s are nice.

the m48 mainly saw use in the 90s during the yugoslav wars, the m48 lacks the empty magazine hold open feature and has a hand guard that goes well around/behind the rear sight.

the turkish mausers tend the be beat-up and abused from my experience so look closely before buying one

Back
Top Bottom