• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steady pups

maker

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
1   0
Reaction score
Bill and Frank , just wondering if ya'll have had the pups on any wings or birds . Sniff impressed the judges at Old Relee with his ability to hold at such a young age while I went in for the flush . I didn't know if it was a fluke but this week I 've been working with the blank on steadying and he still seems to do pretty darn good . Just wondering if ya'll have had any bird exposure ?

Any other opinions on helping to steady also . I've got my ideas but always like to hear others .

I have not attempted to steady him on any birds yet. He's very steady through a shot, but I guess it doesn't count if I dont have any real birds falling. To be honest most of my training with him so far has been geared toward ducks, as I know up here in North Ga, that will be the majority of his exposure. When I do get around to exposing him to birds it ought to be interesting considering how he went crazy and swam from bank to bank chasing larks at the lake.

No exposure to birds yet but I plan to very soon. I let him enjoy his childhood but now boot camp has begun! I plan on getting some birds very soon and me and Burdy have already discussed getting together and seeing how the dogs react. I am looking for some pigeons around here and hopefully I will have good things to report.

I have a feeling he is going to chase. Everytime he sees a bird in my back yard he is running at light speed to catch it. Wing on a string training went very well, he was rock solid after I yanked it from him once or twice. I didnt want to do it too much though because I heard it negatively impacts the dog and teahces him to point on sight etc. I'll get some pics of him when I get him on some birds and send them your way.

I am definitely coming down to Silver Lake sometime this winter. Only place I can find birds up here is on a plantation and they charge about $150 for a self guided hunt! Expensive hobby...

You guys are really lucky to have a WMA that holds birds so close to you.

Back
Top Bottom