• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel Tula Ammo in Revolvers

romans1212

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
357mag158fmjtulammo-50-a_1.jpg
I know that brass vs. steel is debated long and hard regarding 223/556 and in semi-auto pistols, but is there anything different about shooting steel ammo (Tula) in revolvers?

I am looking at 357 mag steel Tula Ammo to shoot through my Smith revolver. I know that steel ammo cannot be reloaded, but other than that, does it cause any short-term or long term issues in a revolver?

Thanks. If this has been discussed recently, I apologize.

Last edited:
I know that brass vs. steel is debated long and hard regarding 223/556 and in semi-auto pistols, but is there anything different about shooting steel ammo (Tula) in revolvers.

I am looking at 357 mag steel Tula Ammo to shoot through my Smith revolver. I know that steel ammo cannot be reloaded, but other than that, does it cause any short-term or long term issues in a revolver?

Thanks. If this has been discussed recently, I apologize.

None that I know of shoot away.

And steel can be reloaded I have reloaded 223 tulammo. I did one back to back shoot reload shot Yada yada. I got 5 reloads out of it. I wouldn't bother doing it normally but I was curious.

The only down side to running Tula is it's some dirty, dirty ammo. Cleaning my guns after shooting cheapo stuff is a PITA.

I run the fire out of it, though. Wheel guns, semi-autos, no issues ever.

It all goes BOOM!

I've used steel cased in an old Ruger Blackhawk in .30 cal carbine.

In this caliber, brass .30 cal ammo seems to expand more and the empty shell casings tend to get "stuck" in my revolver. The empty steel casings don't seem to expand as much, tend to loosen, and eject a bit more easily.

Just my experience.

I have shot a BUNCH of Tula, Wolf & other Russian Steel-cased stuff thru AK' s, AR' s & Glocks, but I WOULD NOT Fire any thru my Smith & Wesson Revolvers--I think too much of 'em--YMMV, of course....mikey357

The U.S.A. made steel cased ammo in WWII. 45 ACP and 30 Carbine.

In the early 1970ties, I shot up a lot of steel cased 45 ACP in a military match tuned 1911A1. Worked fine as was quite accurate. I asked about any problems with the ammo and they said it was no problem.

Back
Top Bottom