• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel Tula Ammo in Revolvers

The jacket is bimetallic, which means it contains steel. Bimetal bullets wear out barrels faster.

For instance, after 10,000rds of Federal 5.56 with a copper jacket, the AR in a test still had barrel life left. After 6,000rds of Russian ammo with bimetallic bullets, an identical rifle was shot out and the barrel needed replaced. It was worn so badly that bullets were tumbling and keyholing.

View attachment 504217 I know that brass vs. steel is debated long and hard regarding 223/556 and in semi-auto pistols, but is there anything different about shooting steel ammo (Tula) in revolvers?

I am looking at 357 mag steel Tula Ammo to shoot through my Smith revolver. I know that steel ammo cannot be reloaded, but other than that, does it cause any short-term or long term issues in a revolver?

Thanks. If this has been discussed recently, I apologize.
I bought a set of revolvers for stocking stuffers for Christmas. Everybody got a hundred rounds of defense ammunition and a couple hundred rounds of cheap steel ammunition to practice with.

The steel case expands slightly, and unlike brass isn’t very elastic. The ejection rod was unable to remove the empties with mere hand pressure. We ended up using the shooting rest to push on the ejection was rod it was so good tough.

They don’t advertise that, do they?

The jacket is bimetallic, which means it contains steel. Bimetal bullets wear out barrels faster.

For instance, after 10,000rds of Federal 5.56 with a copper jacket, the AR in a test still had barrel life left. After 6,000rds of Russian ammo with bimetallic bullets, an identical rifle was shot out and the barrel needed replaced. It was worn so badly that bullets were tumbling and keyholing.
That's what I was wondering...
So with AR barrels easy enough to swap it seems you could save money assuming we're not talking about a high end match barrel. But the barrel on your nice revolver?

It's prudent to note that the velocities and pressures of an AR far exceed that of most revolver calibers. The numbers should be different but still, if you shoot a lot, it will be an issue.

Don't know the intricate details about velocity, metallurgy, spherical hooziwhatzits, but I do know that when I tried to shoot .38 steel casings out of my Smith, the casing expanded in the cylinder where I had to "poke" the fired casing out each time.

Don't know the intricate details about velocity, metallurgy, spherical hooziwhatzits, but I do know that when I tried to shoot .38 steel casings out of my Smith, the casing expanded in the cylinder where I had to "poke" the fired casing out each time.
That sort of defeats the purpose in my book. :)

THE STEEL CASES GET STUCK IN THE CYLINDER AFTER BEING FIRED. The cases expand to the chamber but to not contract like brass cases. I literally had to drive them out of the cylinders... every single round. Two boxes of 357. Never again. Brass only for me. 0 stars. Do not recommend in revolvers.

I have a box of Tula missing 18 rounds that you can have..... guy at work has a Taurus and he gave the box to me (missing 6 rounds) said that after he shot he couldn’t get the empties out of his cylinder so I said...... “shouldn’t have bought a Taurus!!!” Lol next range trip with my smith pro center 327 I took it with me....... same thing happened had to beat them out of the cylinder with a cleaning rod. My friend had a Ruger 357 and asked if he could try and sure enough same thing happened. So your more than welcome to try I kept the rest of the box because well who can really throw away ammo lol

I shot a steel ar500 target at 1900 yards (that means 40 yards in the non-odt world, see previous threads) with tulammo 9mm. The jackets splattered but mostly held together. I don't mind it in a Glock barrel, but won't be chootin anymore at my steel torso. Besides, it is easy to reload for wheel guns. You don't even have to chase the brass.

Back
Top Bottom