• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steel Tula Ammo in Revolvers

The steel case would be hard on a semi's extractor... but that's a moot point in a revolver. And even in semi's it's a huge savings in ammo versus a cheap, easily replaceable part. I have a book call "Bullet's by the Billion" that details how Chrysler produced over 1 billion steel-cased 45 ACP rounds in WWII.

As cmshoot cmshoot mentions, the bimetallic bullet itself will be harder on the barrel, but I'll bet that with a pistol round it's nowhere near as much as with a high speed round like .223. You have a lot less barrel for it to traverse, and it's moving waaayyy slower.

I have to ask "why"?

@mikey357 is right on.

I'm not using my S&W revolvers as a testing platform to see if I can save 2 cents a round.

Do I think the ammo will blow up the gun, NO.

Do I think the ammo will place unnecessary stress on the gun, I dunno, and I'm not willing to use my guns to find out

I have to ask "why"?

@mikey357 is right on.

I'm not using my S&W revolvers as a testing platform to see if I can save 2 cents a round.

Do I think the ammo will blow up the gun, NO.

Do I think the ammo will place unnecessary stress on the gun, I dunno, and I'm not willing to use my guns to find out
Does it meet SAAMI specs?

Great article, but as couple of folks said above, it's not sure the same would be true for pistol ammo at much lower velocities and pressure... On the flip side, changing an AR barrel is a lot easier than swapping one on a revolver.

Back
Top Bottom