• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steve Spurrier retires

It's hard to imagine he's gone from coaching for good and I'll be more surprised if he doesn't surface again even at his age. I used to absolutely hate the guy. Shortly after he went to USC I appreciated his accomplishments and actually found him absolutely hysterical. USC's season is shot so he just as well go now to let the administration get the jump on getting the first pick of the inevitable pool of available coaches. A job that big generally starts the domino effect of coaches shuffling around. I'm going to hope against hope that it somehow results in Miles getting a new job somewhere else. If it does, I'll take back at least half of all the bad things I said about Spurrier when he was at Florida.

Reactions: JWC
I'm a huge SC fan. Very thankful for what he did to the program. Lou got the ball rolling but Steve made it successful. I only wish we could have won an SEC Championship and made at least one Sugar Bowl, but it wasn't meant to be. But he should have resigned/retired at the end of last season, because he bumbled questions about his future and it messed with recruiting. It's bittersweet to see him go but it was time.

With that being said, I think he's coaching college football in some capacity within the next one to two years. Like Lou Holtz, he wants to get his son a coaching gig but his son hasn't had the luxury of having a HC job prior to being on the Carolina staff (Skip was at UConn in the mid-90's). Steve can go to a smaller school where he will be the big recruiting fish in a small pond and he can get some kind of transitional deal going so his son replaces him when he actually retires. Willie Taggart is on the hot seat at South Florida and that would be a perfect gig for Steve. Go back to Florida, have an easier schedule, not as much stress on recruiting top talent, etc.

As for the replacement, Tom Herman, Justin Fuente, or PJ Fleck. Get a young guy in there that knows offense. That is unless UGA wants to fire Richt and Columbia isn't much of a drive from his lake house at Hartwell. In a perfect world, SC hires Richt and UGA hires Spurrier and the world spins on it's heels.

Reactions: JWC
Let me preface my statement by saying, I am not a fan of the "old ball coach". However, he changed the SEC from a three yards and a cloud of dust offense, to a more wide open offense. And I haven't forgotten that he won an ACC Championship at Duke. A great and innovative coach.
However, quitting on the team in mid season, does not speak well for the "old ball coach". Granted, USC is not winning, but those are HIS players. He recruited them and to quit on them at this point in the season is frankly gutless. But there may be another reason he decided to "resign, not retire". After the way his team has played, he was more than likely getting some heat from the AD. I believe, just my opinion, that the "old ball coach" did not like someone pointing out that his team was just not getting it done. The "old ball coach", showing his arrogance, probably got fed up with the criticisms and said that's it, I am done, find someone else. Of course, there may be other reasons, as others have stated, but quitting on your team and stating I am resigning, not retiring, is a slap to all of HIS players. Just gutless in my opinion.

Let me preface my statement by saying, I am not a fan of the "old ball coach". However, he changed the SEC from a three yards and a cloud of dust offense, to a more wide open offense. And I haven't forgotten that he won an ACC Championship at Duke. A great and innovative coach.
However, quitting on the team in mid season, does not speak well for the "old ball coach". Granted, USC is not winning, but those are HIS players. He recruited them and to quit on them at this point in the season is frankly gutless. But there may be another reason he decided to "resign, not retire". After the way his team has played, he was more than likely getting some heat from the AD. I believe, just my opinion, that the "old ball coach" did not like someone pointing out that his team was just not getting it done. The "old ball coach", showing his arrogance, probably got fed up with the criticisms and said that's it, I am done, find someone else. Of course, there may be other reasons, as others have stated, but quitting on your team and stating I am resigning, not retiring, is a slap to all of HIS players. Just gutless in my opinion.

It's hard to gauge. On one hand, he had lost the locker room: guys tweeting during the game, players openly resenting their commitment to the school, etc. On the other hand, I noticed how quick he was to stress he was "resigning" and not retiring and how curt he was in responses compared to Tanner or the President. Most likely they told him he could either resign or be fired at the end of the year, and he has no real incentive to stay since his son isn't going to replace him. Leave now and go ahead and work behind the scenes to get a new gig lined up. This season is a bust, probably will lose to Vanderbilt (and save Mason's job up there), might even lose to the damn Citadel. I wasn't expecting much this year as a fan (6-8 wins max) but it's been a disaster. Besides, this whole "leaving mid-season" thing is becoming more and more popular each year. Used to only a few small schools would do it but now even the bigger programs are taking that approach so they can get a head start on a replacement.

Greg Schiano was talked about last year if Spurrier was going to hang it up then and it would be a similar situation to Spurrier coming to SC: Ex-good college coach, failure in the NFL, out of football for a bit, wants a new start. I cant' see Dantonio leaving MSU unless he just wants to pull a Saban. Butch Davis and Mack Brown are the other names I saw today. Davis would be nice: proven recruiter, prospects flock to him because he knows how to get them NFL ready, built arguably the most impressive dynasty in recent college football history. Got a raw deal at North Carolina. Mack Brown might be interesting but he really struggled with recruits at Texas in his final years, and I wonder if he's suffering from Spurrier Syndrome.

Steve Spurrier represents something awesome and special. He is living proof that a child can indeed be conceived through anal intercourse.

Back
Top Bottom