• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steve Spurrier retires

I think there's more than meets the eye that will later pop up. I can see both sides as to or not to leave during the middle of the season. Either way, he has left a legacy.

He likes to drink (has been drunk during a post-game show at least once that I know of). That's about it. But I've seen pictures of him this year exercising with players and all of that, so unless something has just come up recently, I doubt he's suffering from any health effects other than heartache / butthurt at how this season is going.

From what I read, he's going to be on Gameday tomorrow, and I couldn't see him doing that if he had any serious health issues. And I bet he's coaching next year or the year after, regardless of what he said in the press conference. Hell, he could take that North Texas job and win a Sunbelt Conference title.

He likes to drink (has been drunk during a post-game show at least once that I know of). That's about it. But I've seen pictures of him this year exercising with players and all of that, so unless something has just come up recently, I doubt he's suffering from any health effects other than heartache / butthurt at how this season is going.

From what I read, he's going to be on Gameday tomorrow, and I couldn't see him doing that if he had any serious health issues. And I bet he's coaching next year or the year after, regardless of what he said in the press conference. Hell, he could take that North Texas job and win a Sunbelt Conference title.

Spot on. I don't think it is health, but something else maybe within the Athletic department or something else.

Let me preface my statement by saying, I am not a fan of the "old ball coach". However, he changed the SEC from a three yards and a cloud of dust offense, to a more wide open offense. And I haven't forgotten that he won an ACC Championship at Duke. A great and innovative coach.
However, quitting on the team in mid season, does not speak well for the "old ball coach". Granted, USC is not winning, but those are HIS players. He recruited them and to quit on them at this point in the season is frankly gutless. But there may be another reason he decided to "resign, not retire". After the way his team has played, he was more than likely getting some heat from the AD. I believe, just my opinion, that the "old ball coach" did not like someone pointing out that his team was just not getting it done. The "old ball coach", showing his arrogance, probably got fed up with the criticisms and said that's it, I am done, find someone else. Of course, there may be other reasons, as others have stated, but quitting on your team and stating I am resigning, not retiring, is a slap to all of HIS players. Just gutless in my opinion.
Exactly

Back
Top Bottom