• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Still have dogs chasing deer on hunting property.

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
For the past few years I've caught these darn dogs on cam chasing deer and running the property almost every night.

Well the other day I pulled up to the gate to go check my trail cams and now the same dogs are traveling in a pack of four dogs.
They started barking and coming towards me so I fired a warning shot into the bank next to them.
I noticed a collar on one dog.

I walked the property but they were gone.
I drive around asking surrounding neighbors if they knew the dogs or the owner....nobody knew anything about them...hmmm.but a few young guys said they probably belong to one of the homes on an adjacent road.

So last night I'm at the gate again.
I walk in with a hand truck full of logs I'm using for protein blocks and those same dogs come at me barking like crazy.
I had my 6.8 AR on my shoulder and got ready but the dogs didn't charge.
I could have shot them all but I would have been firing towards a house and road right at the edge of the property so no shots fired.
The dogs went somewhere and I figured they were near the house in question so I finally drove over there today to talk to the homeowner.
A nice lady was outside and talked to me for quite some time.
She said she's got 2 chihuahuas and haven't seen the dogs I described.
I told her I don't want to shoot them but I could have been in the right twice now and explained how they chased deer away right as I was about to take a shot at one, trail cam video, etc.
She told me to choot em so they don't attack her dogs...lol.

I talked to DNR and lady said wardens won't shoot dogs even if caught chasing deer and to call animal control.
I called animal control and they said nothing they cannot do anything.
Don't want to attract bears in dog traps and don't have enough traps or time.
He told me to shoot, shovel and shut up.
I called DNR again today and asked to speak with a warden....this time the girl on the phone was a sweetie and put me in touch with a warden.
Warden called me today and said I'm doing the right thing by calling but for liability reasons wardens don't shoot dogs although according to law they can especially if chasing deer.
He said these days wardens may not even shoot a stray dog even if it had a fawn in its mouth because of sue happy morons and they way the world has become.
His advice was to shoot them only if they become aggressive and bury the bastards deep.
He understands my dillema especially since we have kids that enjoy the property when we're not hunting.
He's going to put me in touch with my local warden and see if he and the animal control guy can meet with me and come up with a plan to track down the owners.
The saga continues.....stay tuned for updates.

The only reason I'm posting this is to make others aware of the reality of dealing with such a situation.

Sucks when you go through the proper channels and they tell you they won't even abide by their own written rules due to fear of public backlash.

Damn, you were just trying to get some solid answers and in the process found no one to help you, now everyone is kinda involved.

Whatever you do, do it quietly, you're on your own.

I ran into a bunch of hunting dogs that were lost in the woods and must have found each other one time.
There were several different breeds, maybe 6 or 7 total, they were acting ferocious as wolves.
I thought they were going to kill and eat one dog while I was watching, but they stopped attacking him.
I was really happy to be in a tree at the time.

It seems to me it doesn't take too long for dogs to become feral.
I'd be real careful around them too, if I felt threatened I'd definitely shoot.
I've never shot a dog, I sure wouldn't want to, but when push comes to shove you have to do something.....
Sounds like you're there already...

It's not fear of public backlash.......it's actual public backlash. The 21st century man has evolved into a being that equates a dogs life with that of a human.

I grew up on a farm that included a small head of cattle. Dogs caught running cattle were shot on sight.....no second thoughts.....no apologies......no worries. I don't live on a farm anymore, but imagine the same rules still apply. If you love your dog enough to consider him/her one of the family, then love them enough to stop them from damaging another man's livestock and lively hood on his own property. If you can't do that then accept the fact they will legally (at least in Georgia) and likely be shot and killed.

Back
Top Bottom