• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Still have dogs chasing deer on hunting property.

We went through this. Thank goodness the county we live in has animal control.

We would live trap them. Dogs are the easiest thing in the world to trap, and very few of them are actually feral. 90% of them have homes.

Any way, we would take them to animal control - $75.00 fee for bailing the dog out made it mostly a one time experience. We never checked to see if the owner picked up the dog - I suppose it if went over the limit of days, it was euthanized.

Having owned hunting dogs all my life until recently, it's hard for me to pull down on a dog. I try to put deer hunting in context.

With the current coyote situation, I doubt that dogs do much to impact the deer population.

Years ago I encountered four feral dogs while squirrel hunting alone. They immediately spread out and approached in a threatening manner. When the biggest one suddenly charged I reflexively shot him (.22LR); the others broke and ran. It all happened so fast I really had no time to think.

Don't mind admitting I got scared later wondering how things would have played out had I not been armed. Didn't take long for the pack behavior to show.

I don't believe in shooting animals unless you are going to eat it or it is a nuisance to other wildlife. Those dogs are now no different than yotes in my eyes. Would you keep letting a yote walk? I wouldn't. Keep a shovel in the truck.

"Dogs make a fine meal.":hungry:

Yeah I would have opened up
On them if the road and a house wasn't in the backstop.

Someone mentioned the alpha male and that's exactly what I had in mind.

They're also Like clockwork and are only caught in camera between 6:30pm-7:30pm give or take a half hour so I can't help to wonder if someone don't come home from work and let's them out to roam.

Down where we hunt we have seen dogs 4-5 times in the woods over the years. I shot into the ground on a pair chasing deer (4 pt about ran me over). They stopped like they were surprised to see me and got a gun blast from my AR at about 25 yards. The other ones we have seen were obviously from the houses next to the property border and were not aggressive.

If the dogs are acting aggressive; alpha at least has to be put down. I would hate to read about some person being mauled by a pack of dogs because they have lost their fear. If MR Green Jeans said to take care of it, take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom