• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Still need help running an Ethernet RJ45 style cable/connecter

rockyfatcat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
31   0
Reaction score

I am past any DIY suggestions!​

I bought a new house last year and taped an Ethernet cable to the floor. Last night I tried to fish the Ethernet cable through the same hole as the old telephone wire. The connector for the Ethernet cable will not fit through the hole in the floor behind the wall.

I thought about it and figured that a pro would just clip off the connector, run the wire and re-terminate the connector.

It stopped being a DIY project when the connector wouldn’t go through the existing hole.

To be clear:
I have a hole. Its just not big enough for the connector plug for the ethernet. A pro would snip off the connector, run the wire and re-terminate.

I was hoping to find either an ODT member or get a referral to a pro

Another less expensive and less technical solution may be to drill a larger hole or enlarge the existing hole using a flexible drill bit.

1662346893399.png

You can order the end connectors & pliers on Amazon or at micro center, & YouTube how to use them. It’s surprisingly simple once you know what to do.

Yep - it is pretty straightforward to re-do the terminations yourself. The RJ45s and keystone blocks (terminators) for twisted pair are color coded etc, but the real challenge can be running the cable itself.

Another less expensive and less technical solution may be to drill a larger hole or enlarge the existing hole using a flexible drill bit.

View attachment 4693587
I fought with it for several hours. I was able to fish a wire through but when I taped the cable to my wire but finally figured out that the existing hole was just too tiny, and it stopped being a DIY project.

I'm not going to blindly drill whatever behind a wall. There is a blue box attached to the stud and I still have the wire I threaded coming through from upstairs to the basement.

I can run the wire. That isn't hard. I figured that the best answer would be to tap the ODT brain trust and find someone who can do this for me.

Back
Top Bottom