• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stoddard's Gun Range - My last time, ever??

I'm lucky, been living in the Boondocks for many moons, been firing on my property since we moved here, now with a little help from friends and a chainsaw or two, building a better range with targets at 25/50/100m..It's great to just walk out the door, hang a target and shoot to your hearts content, it's like ODT Heaven :thumb:

1. Renting ear muffs is gross and rental shooting glasses would be too scratched to use in the first few sessions. You knew you would need them, why not stop and pick some up at Walmart before you get there. I assume that's what you did for ammo, why not muffs and glasses?

2. If you don't like the people that you're shooting next to, ask to move. There is no range that wouldn't accommodate that request if they could.

3. If you didn't say something to someone being unsafe, you're more to blame than the range. Anyone that sees something unsafe is obligated to say something right then. Complaining about it in a gun forum afterwards doesn't do anyone any good. I do, however, agree that it would be nice if someone at Stoddards had notice. On the other hand, I've been to plenty of ranges and I've never been to one that I didn't see something I didn't like. That's just the nature of public ranges.

4. You're right on prices, generally. They charge a premium for most things because you're already at the range and it's convenient. It's the only way they can stay in business and only sell gun related stuff. Heck, I recently paid $12 for a box of 223 FMJ's at Govenor's, which hurt me bad, but I chose to do it because it was convenient. Yes, I can buy those elsewhere for $6-$7, but I chose to buy them. It was the first ammo I'd purchased in about 10 years, but my new gun was doing some funky stuff with the only handloads I had with me. Again, this goes for most ranges and I don't know of any one of us that would it any differently if we owned a range.

5. If you really want to have a really good and safe time, look at the different ranges around and pick one that's having a match of some kind. IDPA and US Action Rifle are the two I'm most familiar with and I think those are about as fun and safe as you can get indoors with a bunch of other shooters. You generally get at least half of the range for the match and it's a blast for only $15.

-Adrian
I also agree with most of what you say. But, I am not more to blame than them, if I don't speak up, if they are not having the upmost safety in the ranges, with the range officers paying close attention every second .

I agree with women, but couldn't disagree more with guns. The trigger is the #1 or #2 most influencing factor when selecting a a new gun. You can't hurt modern guns by dry firing them and any gun store that won't let me dry fire one won't get my business. There aren't many that don't allow that, but Academy Sports has never sold me a gun and never will just for that reason.

That is the reason I ask for a box out of the back instead of the case slut every jackass had his finger in. If firing pins were not damageable, they would not sell replacement parts.

Any gun store should have snap caps for testing triggers, but most just don't care. They don't give a **** about long term wear and tear because they don't own guns long term.

I went in Stoddard's for the first time last week. Super nice place but I was underwhelmed by the selection for such a big store. The prices on the few things I looked at were pretty lofty but I saw that coming based on the appearance and location of the shop. I did fingerbang a Zev Glock 23 they had and nobody said a word. The employees were about as friendly as I've come to expect from gun shops.

I went in Stoddard's for the first time last week. Super nice place but I was underwhelmed by the selection for such a big store. The prices on the few things I looked at were pretty lofty but I saw that coming based on the appearance and location of the shop. I did fingerbang a Zev Glock 23 they had and nobody said a word. The employees were about as friendly as I've come to expect from gun shops.
Interesting, the had a disclosure to a few people while handling them in front of me about not doing that. Regardless, your right about friendly, though.

Interesting, the had a disclosure to a few people while handling them in front of me about not doing that. Regardless, your right about friendly, though.
The employee I was dealing with pulled the trigger on it too. Haha. It's a $1000 custom Glock who in their right mind wouldn't pull the trigger.

Stoddards only wants your money. Want proof? Ask them how they treated their employees after the recent suicide. They opened their doors to sales while the cleanup crew was still there. They care about you as much as they care for the dead. Do not give them your business, it's a negative reflection on the shooting community as a whole. Disrespectful and unprofessional.

Back
Top Bottom