• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stolen gun data base

phelston357

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
35   0
Reaction score
I recently was at a Gun show in Georgia. A gentleman had very nice Smith and Wesson model 59 for sale. I asked him much was he asking for it. He said he wanted $ 300 . This weapon was in perfect condition. It came with a box of shells and a nice shoulder holster. The price was fair. I gave him the money and he gave me the weapon. My son was with me at the time. He asked me how do I know that the weapon wasn't stolen. He stated that the price for the weapon was to good to be true. This was a private sale. I explained to him in the state of Georgia you can make a private purchase from another gun owner no questions asked. He brought up a good point. What if later I decide to trade or sell to a dealer and they do a background check and it comes up on a stolen list,what if I get pulled over by the police and they want to do a check on my weapon and it comes back stolen in there Data Base. What do I do. Have I broken any laws? Can I be arrested and charged with receiving stolen property. Is there a Data base in Georgia to check a weapon to protect private citizens against this.

Call your local PD or SD, tell them you bought a gun from an individual and ask them to check it because you want to be sure its not stolen...they will have you bring it to them OR may have an officer meet you...either way they'll want to see the weapon..they run the number..if it is stolen, they will take it from you right then and you've lost it and your money unless you know who you bought it from..if its clean you walk away with it and know you're safe.

aall the more reason to ask for a BOS if anyone refuses to sign one, run away, and if they are too paranoid, remind them it isn't getting mailed to the ATF jusdt going on the safe with the gun to cover your ass if they are in doubt about it, they should have gotton one as well.

aall the more reason to ask for a BOS if anyone refuses to sign one, run away, and if they are too paranoid, remind them it isn't getting mailed to the ATF jusdt going on the safe with the gun to cover your ass if they are in doubt about it, they should have gotton one as well.

Seems like the more intelligent ones are up early?

Call your local PD or SD, tell them you bought a gun from an individual and ask them to check it because you want to be sure its not stolen...they will have you bring it to them OR may have an officer meet you...either way they'll want to see the weapon..they run the number..if it is stolen, they will take it from you right then and you've lost it and your money unless you know who you bought it from..if its clean you walk away with it and know you're safe.

Yep, intelligent statement indeed but some just won't get it? Best to get a BOS. I always offer one before and after the transaction.

BOS doesn't do a damn thing to protect your ass. And i dont want other people knowing all that information about me.

what badger said, have the police run the serial. some wont be reported right away so you may want to run it again later.

Best bet is to file the serial number off so that you have a "ghost gun."

Who's it is/was? Nobody knows....

Edit: sarcasm only. Do not do this.

Last edited:
BOS doesn't do a damn thing to protect your ass. And i dont want other people knowing all that information about me.

Really? Isn't 'all that information' readily available to anyone who really wants to know anyway?
Think a judge would think less or more of your word if you did have a bos at trial?

But then again..... :argue: .:deadhorse: .:doh:

Back
Top Bottom