• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stolen guns and safe

Take them all to a pawn shop, then collect them when you get back?
Please, do share.
Share your ideas, Buddy. I thought using a safe was prudent. I have a safe, but am always looking for a better way to secure my stuff in my absence.

My guns stayed right where I left them when I was out of the country for 18 months. Like anything else, nothing is full proof. No matter what you do, some POS is going to figure out how to take what does not belong to him.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thet...r-creating-risk-widespread-injury-damage/amp/

The gentleman in the story was stabbed in the neck by his wife. Long story short when the police asked if he had any weapons he said yes. When they asked to see them he said no.

When the police asked if they could look around he said no. The police asked if they could use the restroom. Being a gracious host he agreed.

Their expedition revealed 5 safes. They then left and returned with a search warrant. The fire department used their play toys to turn his expensive safes into scrap metal. Then they removed his 200 weapons in 55 gallon Barrels.

They got real concerned when discovered that he had something like 50 pounds of black powder.

I am not going to share how I personally hide my stuff. I know guys who like to bury some of their stuff in sealed at the edge of their property.

My personal favorite is the incorporation of the hidey hole into the home. Things like the sliding mirror revealing the thickness of the wall has been utilized for concealed storage.

Or a repurposed water heater turned into a long gun storage. Done right, it would pass scrutiny for even a search warrant.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 65
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thet...r-creating-risk-widespread-injury-damage/amp/

The gentleman in the story was stabbed in the neck by his wife. Long story short when the police asked if he had any weapons he said yes. When they asked to see them he said no.

When the police asked if they could look around he said no. The police asked if they could use the restroom. Being a gracious host he agreed.

Their expedition revealed 5 safes. They then left and returned with a search warrant. The fire department used their play toys to turn his expensive safes into scrap metal. Then they removed his 200 weapons in 55 gallon Barrels.

They got real concerned when discovered that he had something like 50 pounds of black powder.

I am not going to share how I personally hide my stuff. I know guys who like to bury some of their stuff in sealed at the edge of their property.

My personal favorite is the incorporation of the hidey hole into the home. Things like the sliding mirror revealing the thickness of the wall has been utilized for concealed storage.

Or a repurposed water heater turned into a long gun storage. Done right, it would pass scrutiny for even a search warrant.

Thanks. I agree with not sharing all of your secrets. I like the water heater idea... There are some other ways to do similar things in my home, some of which I have done. Not a favorite on the mirror thing, fake books or the hidy shelf. Those are too publicized. The other thing to consider is ease of access, when I am at home. I've considered doing a little landscaping, but like to play with my little arsenal too much, so would constantly be digging them up. Still got my safe and will continue to use it. I think the example given was done from someone who knew about his stuff and that he'd be out of town. Given enough time, a "friend" will even find my landscaping tricks, but maybe not your water heater... I really like that one.

Well, the water heater idea is kind of neat but since I live in a free state, I don't beat up on my wife and she probably doesn't even THINK of stabbing me in the neck all that often, I'm more concerned about fire and theft than government confiscation.

Seriously though, I'm a big fan of layered security. Monitored alarm, internet monitored video surveillance, power backup and, yes, a safe, to name a few.

I think everyone is missing the point. I see a lot of suggestions on how to hide your stuff better. I can bury the stuff in concrete where they would have a tough time getting to it. That is not the point.

The point is if someone take reasonable precautions to secure their items, guns or anything else, it give no rights for someone to break into their property and take it. I should not have to hide my stuff. I am not breaking the law. The ass that breaks into my house is. But there will always be another ass that says you should have done this or that. Since when did trying to do the right thing become wrong?

Thanks. I agree with not sharing all of your secrets. I like the water heater idea... There are some other ways to do similar things in my home, some of which I have done. Not a favorite on the mirror thing, fake books or the hidy shelf. Those are too publicized. The other thing to consider is ease of access, when I am at home. I've considered doing a little landscaping, but like to play with my little arsenal too much, so would constantly be digging them up. Still got my safe and will continue to use it. I think the example given was done from someone who knew about his stuff and that he'd be out of town. Given enough time, a "friend" will even find my landscaping tricks, but maybe not your water heater... I really like that one.
For the person willing to do a little remodeling, drywall and cabinetry can be excellent camouflage.

Walls are typically 4" thick. Why not utilize some of the dead space? Stairways have all kinds of space that would pass all but detailed scrutiny.

A giant safe is either too thin or way too heavy and expensive. The thieves had plenty of time to peel the safe. A nice big safe is kind of hard to hide. It's probably easier to have a secret room. But if you had one, you probably wouldn't need a safe

Back
Top Bottom