• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stolen guns and safe

Eastern Insurance - you pick the blanket dollar amount of insurance coverage you want and you're done. No itemized list of the insured guns or accessories. $250 deductible. You can get $100K of coverage for $314/year.

Just another option since so many require your serial numbers and this company doesn't. State Farm quoted me $10,000 coverage for around $150. Eastern may have plans with zero deductibles.

That's one benefit but I don't mind the serial number deal. All my guns are legit so it's no big deal. Plus if push comes to shove there can be no argument to the actual existence of the gun.

Well, mine are legal too but I'd really not have other people (office employees) to have access to the serial numbers. Plus I buy at least one Vintage S&W revolver every two months and adding and removing these becomes a pain. But I guess that the crap we have to put up with as long as there's scum out there too lazy to work.

That's one benefit but I don't mind the serial number deal. All my guns are legit so it's no big deal. Plus if push comes to shove there can be no argument to the actual existence of the gun.
Pardon my continued paranoia, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but legality of firearm is not the problem. It's not knowing who has access to the list. Also, unless you provide photos of each item, with serial number clearly legible, there's still no proof of it's existence.

Guys, I have already said the best thing you can do to protect your investment. The key word being " PAP ". For those of you not brushed up on your insurance term it means, Personal Articles Policy. My rate with State Farm is just around 16.00 dollars a month. Now that's somewhere around 17,000 bucks worth of coverage. That's one box of shells a month for piece of mind when you leave your house. I use to load up my real valuable guns and take them with me when I went to mountains for vacation until my very best friend I went to high school with filled me on the policy. His wife is a State Farm Agent in Dawsonville.We only found out about it when he started to work at her agency and we were buying up guns like packs of chewing gum.

How it works. You give them the serial number and a very in depth description of the gun and all the add on modifications. I use a price for the gun from a place that is not the cheapest but is reasonable. I also round off the mods and make sure I have the rifle, shotgun or handgun priced at what it would take me to replace the gun with modifications and taxes. YOU are the one that states the price of that particular weapon you are insuring. That way you can go out and buy or build the exact gun and have every dime to do it with.

There are several advantages to this type of coverage. You have the serial number and every mod made written in ink somewhere no one will have access to. No matter what happens to the guns they are covered. If someone wraps a chain around your safe and yanks it out your house it covered. Regular home owners insurance will only cover 2,500 dollars worth of guns. With this policy every gun and part you purchased is covered to the penny. Now I have a lot of build that cost 1,200 to 1,800 dollars in parts alone and can be replaced to the ejector pin if something happens. Also piece of mind when you leave your house that if your babies are stolen or your house burns down you guns will be replaced at the price they have been stated at. I go the extra mile and take a picture of every gun. I have a lot of older guns that are not very valuable per say but in like new condition and I have them insured for a price it would take me to replace that gun at the same condition it was in.

Now this is not going to replace guns with a lot of sentimental value but it will be replaced none the less. I encourage every member on here with large collections of guns to take out a policy for protection. Now I can leave the house knowing that if they get stolen oh well time to go shopping and maybe upgrade that gun you just weren't exactly in love with. It's irreplacable piece of mind. Now I can leave my house and not even think about it. I love it and for 16.00 bucks a month it's a fantastic way to set your mind at ease. I believe there is a discount for having a safe as well.

If anyone just wants to get a quote or take out a policy you can call my friend who also has a large value policy and knows all the ins and outs of the policy. His name is Charles Boutin and if you PM me I will give you his number so you check into it.

I am not an agent nor am I trying to drum up business for him. All I am trying to get through to all the members is there is a way to cover you bases on all your babies where you have absolute piece of mind when you leave your house.

Also on a side note, do not advertise you are leaving for a month. That's basically an invitation to friends that might not be so friendly.

Get with me and give him a call. I you have Farm then you get discounts for having home and auto with as well. Even if you don't have state farm call your agent and see what they can do for you. I just recommend him because he is so familiar on the policy. Half the time you might be speaking to a person that is not a gun nut and can't give you the absolute ins and outs of the process. It's absolutely foolish not to have one if you have a large collection of costly firearms. They do not cover ammo however, I don't think a thief is going to make six or seven trips back and forth with 30lb. ammo boxes. LOL

all of this and all I think is you should really buy more guns.....

I have a slight advantage since my agent knows all the guns I have so I have a little back up there. As for having my serial numbers. I weight it out like this. All my guns get stolen and get a check from homeowners for 2,500. Have all my guns stolen and get a check for the total worth of my collection. In today's time there is a certain amount of risk with everything we do. It's like basic liability insurance vs. full coverage. You may never need it but you will be damn glad you have it when something happens. You could put your money in the bank or stuff in cans and dig holes in your back yard. One is covered on is not. It just comes down to what a certain individual is comfortable with. It's not for everyone but there are some that are comfortable with the idea. I know when I leave my house I don't even think about it. It defines the very word insurance.

"You have the serial number and every mod made written in ink somewhere no one has access to."
Except every employee of the insurance company with access to your records. Being a person who mistrusts the average unseen worker bee, I carry no rider policies on anything. Don't need someone stumbling across something and thinking it looks like an easy score. Also, putting on my tinfoil hat, suppose some future government decides a particular type weapon is now banned. Subpoena insurance records and run search programs.
Just random thoughts... For clarity, check my sig line.

I added a rider that covered, I think, 12k in firearms but I didn't have to account for anything. I told my agent that I traded, sold, and bought new stuff that we would both be annoyed if we did it another way. It's not enough for everything but it'll replace the ones I'd care to buy again.

I added a rider that covered, I think, 12k in firearms but I didn't have to account for anything. I told my agent that I traded, sold, and bought new stuff that we would both be annoyed if we did it another way. It's not enough for everything but it'll replace the ones I'd care to buy again.
That sounds like an excellent idea as well.

Back
Top Bottom