• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stop in case help is needed?

Damn Greyhound bus passed me once while running 75 in FL
I drove I-16 regularly when it ended in Metter. Picked it up at Soperton.

Absolutely nothing until Macon. Virtually no traffic.

I would draft Greyhounds doing 90. just pray that it didn't have to panic stop.

Back to OP, I sorta did this once, trooper told me to get back into my car and keep moving.

Good way to get shot yourself. Even if you witness an officer get shot, and you pull over to help, the other officers in route don’t know that, and you’ll be a suspect, or target.

If you really want to help, go join up with your pd or sheriffs office.

1-- Cops draw guns on citizens all the time. They often commit aggravated assault daily because The suspect has not offered any resistance nor his reasonably believe to be armed and dangerous. Of course we civilians are not allowed to point our guns at suspects that easily.

So, just because the cop has his gun pointed towards a driver doing what's known as a "felony stop" that doesn't mean it's an emergency that demands good citizens rush to rush to the officer's aid.

2-- along the side of the road there's no good way to physicslly approach this scene without either being an obstacle in the cop's line of fire or being a distraction sneaking up behind the cop. Both are very bad. I would consider putting myself in a tactical position to intervene *if* I were walking and saw this scene unfolding not along an interstate highway but in a shopping mall or at a public park. But on the shoulder of the highway = no bueno.

3- and yes, I think citizens should have the balls and the moral fortitude to put themselves in danger to STOP violent criminals from killing cops. If it looks like the cop is in mortal danger from a situation that he can't handle or a gunfight that he's not obviously winning--- yes, jump into that and help.

That's your civic duty as a citizen. The founding fathers envisioned that type of civic duty when they wrote the second amendment. All men of a community had a duty to help law enforcement or, to help catch criminals themselves when some other citizen would raise the "hue and cry". This is ancient common law that the colonists inherited from England and we did not change for 100 years, not until America became more urbanized and we begin to form professional full-time law eforcement agencies.

Or mind my civilian bidness?

At mile marker 90 on I-16 West I saw sheriff's deputy with his gun drawn aimed at the driver of a small white pickup truck. That same small pickup truck passed me a few miles back as if I was standing still and I was going 83 miles per hour. What do you do in a situation like that? Stop and offer assistance or mind your own business?
If you can find a spot that doesn’t distract, and doesn’t make you look like you might be with the perp than stay and observe. If others cops arrive then depart.
Do not intervene unless the cop is in distress, and then only if you can actually do so without causing more harm than good. Just having a gun doesn’t count. (I don’t know your capabilities so I added this) I did see where a 70 YO grandmother was credited with saving an officers life.

Thank you for at least considering helping, as society crumbles around us, more and more people only consider themselves. I sometimes wonder if this correlates or is just a indication of cowardship...

I tell my kids to never interfere in something that has no effect on them. Take care of each other and to hell with everyone else. Gotta be that way nowadays

Back
Top Bottom