• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Store Owner Shoots and Kills Shoplifter Walking Out The Door

All this guy was trying to do was escape. There was clearly no intent to use the hatchet as a weapon or he would have already been swinging it.
What if his target was just outside the door?
I would think that the shoplifting of hatchets is a very low percentage of all the items shoplifted.

You ever gotten a speeding ticket? That's also breaking the law and is also a misdemeanor.

KILL ALL SPEEDERS! HELL YEAH! :rockon:

:doh:
And if I got myself killed by speeding, it's not like they'd charge the cops with murder for trying to pull me over.

And if I got myself killed by speeding, it's not like they'd charge the cops with murder for trying to pull me over.
Your comparison would be the same if you said the shooter was chasing him and the guy fell on the hatchet and killed himself.

The analogy to this case would be the idea that anyone can shoot a speeder.

Well, geez! What if he was a scout for an Martian invasion? :shocked:

:doh:
What the **** would he need a hatchet for?

Reasonable doubt that he was stopping a forcible felony could easily be established without audio from the camera. He could be guilty as sin. However, the state has to disprove all reasonable theories consistent with the defendant's innocence.

It would be reasonable that he was hastily arming himself to injure a nearby victim.
Well to me at least.
Regardless, the shooter can testify that the hatchet man said whatever he wants.
There is a good chance someone on the jury thinks he should walk and that is that.

They probably won't even bring charges.
It all depends on who the victim was.

What is your immediate action on seeing a man leaving a hardware store with only a hatchet and no bag being quickly followed by a man saying "stop, thief!"

Say you are 21' away on the sidewalk.

I know I'm thinking buddy has a fire to get going. Or the invasion is near.

What is your immediate action on seeing a man leaving a hardware store with only a hatchet and no bag being quickly followed by a man saying "stop, thief!"

Say you are 21' away on the sidewalk.

I know I'm thinking buddy has a fire to get going. Or the invasion is near.
As long as no one's life is in danger, I'm staying the hell out of it.

Reactions: MRM
Your comparison would be the same if you said the shooter was chasing him and the guy fell on the hatchet and killed himself.

The analogy to this case would be the idea that anyone can shoot a speeder.
It's clear that you don't think anyone should defend themselves or attempt to stop bad people from doing bad things.

Would I have shot this guy if it was my store? No and I damn sure wouldn't be trying to grab him as he's stealing my hatchet. We all have the benefit of hindsight, watching the video, and carefully considering it. The shop owner had seconds to react and he made a choice. I can't fault him for wanting to protect his property from theft.

I don't see how anyone who believes in justice can say that the dead guy is in the right here. Did he need to die? Probably not, but he played a stupid game and won a stupid prize.

Back
Top Bottom