• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Strategy for Preventing Water Filters from Being Damaged by Freezing

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
As far as I know, about all water filters - Berkey, Life Straw, Sawyer, etc.. - are damaged if they are wet and freeze.

What if it is winter with several days of temperatures in the teens and the grid is down and your supplies of natural gas, gasoline, and propane are gone?

What is your plan?

If you don't have a heat source for several days of sub-freezing weather you are dead anyway...

If all you have is a small wood fire, just enough to keep you from freezing to death, I'd say put the Berkey on one side to reflect the heat back at you from it's nice, shiny surface. Put the LifeStraw inside your clothes to keep it around body temp.

Have a room with a slab foundation make it well insulated with a window with shutters on south wall. Minimum to no openings on other walls.

Should never freeze. Mine never drops below 40 no matter how cold it is outside.

When I was hiking the AT in the early spring it was still snowing up north and below freezing at night so I kept my Sawyer Filter in a zip lock and it stayed in the sleeping bag with me. Along with my boots.
An old boy scout trick. A clean bag for your boots at the foot of your sleeping bag

Back
Top Bottom