• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Straw Purchase Question

I was visiting a gun counter I used to work at today. The manager told me that the ATFr’s made a change to the definition of straw purchase. According to him, if my wife uses my credit card (she is an authorized user) to purchase a firearm and gives it to me, like a Father’s Day gift, the ATFr’s consider this a straw purchase.

Has anyone at FFLs or gun counters heard this also?
Thats interesting. Last i read its more of a paperwork and final possesor of the pew pew

A lot of confusion is around what 'bought' means to different people. Break it down like this, there are three people in a purchase (not three actual persons, just three roles):

The person fronting the money to buy the firearm
The person completing the 4473
The person to take possession of the firearm

The story above about the father and son is a straw purchase. The son was fronting the money so that the dad could complete the 4473 so that the son could take possession. In this case the son is the actual buyer but the dad is completing the paperwork.

The story of the guy buying it for his nephew is NOT a straw purchase. He was fronting the money so that he could complete the 4473, so that the nephew could take possession.

Wife using her husband's credit card (as an authorized user) to then gift it to him could very well be considered a straw purchase. I know CTS has provided the newsletter clip above but I just want to point out that you cannot take those two lines in isolation. A wife can use her husband's credit card to buy a weapon. She can also gift him a weapon. She cannot use his card and also gift the weapon to him.

IMO that's what I call a "bullying" regulation - BATF makes it because they know that none of the victims are going to fork over the bucks to challenge that rule.

So much wrong with it. Properly presented, even the "wokes" would have to be against it. Archaic idea that it's "the husband's credit card" - that she is dependent on her husband for credit - that her husband can use the same card to buy her a gun, but she can't use the card to buy her husband a gun- it's credit card, no money has been advanced to pay for the gun., she's as obligated (in most cases) as he is to make the payments.

Sheeeeeeit you guys.....I just bought all this at Home Depot. I guess I'll see you when I get out of the clink. This was one of my biggest straw purchases.
View attachment 3501892
How can I be sure that is straw and not hay?
Did you make a 'hay purchase'? Does that keep your dogs safe?

Straw, hay, weed scrub grass - whatever....it all boils down to an agency borne from a time of depression, need-for-money, and a way to combat gangsters robbing any bank in sight. The government's solution? Let's put some gangsters in charge to solve some gangster bank robber problems (our illustrious FBI more concerned now with January 6 protestors than actual terrorists) and let's also get some of the 'revenue' we need to operate all our upcoming social programs and remind you they control every aspect of our lives. Taxes, revenue and gangsters..... Sound familiar? That's our government today. They haven't changed one bit.

If your buying a gun as a gift from a lgs best to not mention the gift part. Saw a lady get turned down at Firing Line for saying she was buying a gift for her husband, and that was ten years ago or more. It's ****ty, but I understand it's not a risk some owners want to take.

Back
Top Bottom